Logbook error

Hi all,

Today I got around to filling in all the monthly and 'to date' totals in my logbook (the whole two pages of it!) and, not really thinking fully, put the monthly total in for October. I've got a few more lessons booked for October so (hopefully) the current total won't actually be the total for October.

So, my question is, when you make a mistake in your logbook can you use whiteout (like the tape kind) or do you just put a line through it and keep going? I don't want to use white out and then have someone tell me I've totally messed up my logbook or something. I know this problem seems pretty small, but I want to do it right :)

Hi,

Our CFI wants us to cross out the error with one line then write "entered in error" either above or below and then sign it with a black pen. He informed us the log book is a legal document and therefore correcting fluid/tapes should not be used.

Bob.

Hi,Our CFI wants us to cross out the error with one line then write "entered in error" either above or below and then sign it with a black pen. He informed us the log book is a legal document and therefore correcting fluid/tapes should not be used.

Bob.

HI, ice bob, that sounds like a better idea, with a single line, then everybody, can at least see what was written,

write "entered in error" either above or below and then sign it with a black pen.

Even though it's just a 'total' for the month/date, not adding hours? Like, I'm not accidentally claiming hours I don't have, I'm just adding them up too soon...

This'll teach me to concentrate fully when filling in my logbook I guess!!

Agree with icebob - any document that is auditable should not use whiteout. Same goes for trying to write heavily over the top.

Simply put a line through it (and put something like "Entered in Error" if you like) and put in the correct entry. That way, everyone can see what was done.

Another option.

You could neatly tearout the page leaving a small piece near the binding to stop the other half of the page coming out , then rewrite the section . Since there is no gap in the record, the question of altering a legal document should not arise. Your training organisation (or your employer if you are lucky enough to have one) certifies your documents at 6 monthly intervals anyhow. As icebob says, whiteout doesn't go right with a legal record. Nev

Guest check-in

Or, seeing as its only the 2nd page of a logbook that has 100 or so more, continue the month's flying onto the next page. Or put a diagonal line through the whole page and start again on page three. But the whiteout is not a good idea for the reasons mentioned.

You could neatly tearout the page

If you do that, it's no longer a log book!

Pilot Log Books - General Guidance

Requirement to hold a log bookA pilot must keep a personal log book [Civil Aviation Regulation (CAR) 5.51]

A log book consists of a number of pages permanently bound together in such a way that pages may not be replaced or removed;

Yeah I'm not going to tear out any pages, I had a feeling that might cause issues

I'll just ask my instructor next lesson what he thinks I should do...it's not the end of the page so I could just cross out the total and keep on going and it'll be obvious what I've done, but I'll just check anyway :)

Clarify.

Old log books can fall apart and may have to be rebound. If you are not happy with my suggestion, do not do it. I did QUALIFY the situation re the continuity and since that would be pretty obvious since the whole thing is datal, I personally would be prepared to argue that the process is not done for the purpose of altering the record, but in the way of a correction. of an error. Just putting a big couple of lines through the error section and rewriting it is the way I would go, but some of you might be a bit more fussy about the appearance . Legally there is a similarity with the taking of minutes, of meetings (which are supposed to be a true and accurate record of what took place). Pilots are supposed to self-certify their log books., by a signature and date. (any summaries are done that way) and at frequent intervals your organisation can (and should) certify the correctness of the hours recorded. Nev..

Offend?

No you haven't in the slightest Graeme. I don't disagree with the point you make . You as the pilot, the person whose log book it is, are the "responsible" person for it's content. The flight log is a record of what you have done. If there are errors there, they should be corrected, otherwise it is not a correct record, or "log" obviously. How to go about it is the question here. I try to be practical in flying and there are plenty of instances where you are damned if you do and you are damned if you don't, and flying is about taking responsibility for what you do. The purpose of the log book is clear (as above). IF you (or any other person) removed Pages and LEFT THE RECORD INCOMPLETE OR FALSIFIED by so doing, then it would be a different matter entirely, and no doubt be subject to legal process and rightly so. Regards Nev