Popularity

Trike pricing

No the pricing isn't it.

The cheapest airborne $27630 plus GST, it's just that nobody wants one of those :yuk:

Don't know why that is, but I suspect it is a carryover from people having to build huge brick houses that they can't afford and have a big 4wd they don't need, finance is too easy to get.

When the cheap model was the best you could get that is ok but if there is a better one we've gotta have it.

Evidence here is that what I originally posted about is an anomaly confined to that area and perhaps the people promoting the sport around there don't have the drive they used to i_dunno

Regards Bill

No the pricing isn't it.The cheapest airborne $27630 plus GST, it's just that nobody wants one of those :yuk:

Don't know why that is, but I suspect it is a carryover from people having to build huge brick houses that they can't afford and have a big 4wd they don't need, finance is too easy to get.

When the cheap model was the best you could get that is ok but if there is a better one we've gotta have it.

Evidence here is that what I originally posted about is an anomaly confined to that area and perhaps the people promoting the sport around there don't have the drive they used to i_dunno

Regards Bill

I think pricing is part of the issue. I also think the "big house" thing is also an issue that leads to the pricing of the trikes. I think it works a bit like this: The banks want to make lots of money and the government wants to stimulate the economy and make it look like they're doing a good job running the country. So between them, the govt drops interest rates and the banks lend like drunken sailors. Consequently the price of real estate skyrockets (bubbles). Now everything and I mean everything is connected to the price of real estate. Those who lived through the '80s will know how the inflation ran along with the "entrepeneurs" property developments. So all this inflation feeds into everything we buy, trikes included. At the same time, we're paying mortgages that look like the national debt and some are having to work two jobs and their spouses working two jobs just to pay the mortgage so that the blood-sucking bank execs can get their bonuses for making extra loans. So do these people have extra money/time to spend on expensive play toys? I don't think so, especially play toys that take time to learn how to use. If they're going to go into hock for play toys, they're going to be the instant gratification type play toys, like 50" plasmas.

In short, people don't have the time, money or patience for flying trikes.

IMHO

No the pricing isn't it.The cheapest airborne $27630 plus GST, it's just that nobody wants one of those :yuk:

Regards Bill

Hi all

Hi Len, still got to get my XC to venture that far but "its on the list" - and soon :big_grin:. Glad to hear you had activity there too. Maybe coffee at Cessnock first?

Who else had trike activity in there area - promote your sport and let us know where trikes are active. ( if Bill doesn't mind a slight topic deviation. )

Even though we had 8 trikes up today it still doesn't compare with the "good old days stories here of 10 to 14 every Saturday" so I think your original suspicions are still correct, but it seems to me, to be a hell of a lot better now than 10 months ago when I started so maybe the local drive has a big impact.

I have helped on a couple of trike displays at shows and we were certainly quoting prices for new trikes from (roughly - I cannot remember the exact numbers) $30k - $70k so it would seem as Bill said prices haven't jumped that much, just the standard of what you can get if you want to pay has increased dramatically. As you are no doubt aware going from 2 to 4 stroke adds in the region of $12k - $15 to the cost in the blink of an eye, but with that TBO moves from ~500 to 2000hrs, a reliability, power and efficiency increases as well, you get what you pay for I suppose. Gas struts, big wheels, Glass panels, less wires and fancy tubes all add to the cost too. As with any shopping of that type, for some strange reason 033_scratching_head.gif.b541836ec2811b6655a8e435f4c1b53a.gif most people seem to have a preference for the top of the line model :baldy:. End of the day your $30k machine is still available if you choose, my guess is they don't sell too many $30k machines now, if in fact any at all. Unlike the big house or 50" plasma, a better ( more expensive ) trike probably relates to a safer machine, just like air bags, ABS etc in a car and I guess in the air that's pretty important. Function for function they may seem the same but as one example whats the range of your $30k machine? I would suggest 25% of the $65k machine. I would also suggest on a well used machine the life cycle cost of the dearer machine would also work out cheaper overall IMO.

A big part of the appeal microlight flying to me, is probably most of the perceived negatives associated with our sport.

1. I love that flying a microlight has nothing to do with my daily occupation, nothing to do with clients, deadlines, phone calls.

2. I love that is requires a new set of skills and knowledge which felt quite alien when I first started and required lots of focus and continued learning that never stops.

3. I love the loud roar of the 2 stoke, the basic controls and simple construction, I didn't buy the latest or newest whiz bang machine, like cars it's a personal decision based on many factors.

4. It's like stepping into a different world, every time I go for a fly, from pre-flight - till touch down, the whole experience is unique. I love my old retro looking helmet, which would look more at home with gold fish swimming around in it and the big headsets and giant suits which make you look like sumo wrestlers.

5. I love the open cockpit, and the feeling of air rushing by, even though my trike only cruises along at 37knots, it feels fast as hell on take off :) I even like the cold, only when flying :)

6. I also like meeting great people who have the same interest and sharing stories and sites like this are great for that, especially when we have less time to meet and have a chat face to face...

cheers

Mark

• 2 months later...

Hi All

Nice morning at Maitland this morning

and triking is certainly alive and well

We had at least 10 trikes in the air this morning.

3 were flat out training.

I can recall at least 22 people flying, and I wasn't there all the time.