Hi Recreational Flying

Guzzi

Hi , my name is craig , been a lurker for sometime but have final decided to offically join. Started flying lessons just 18 months ago when at the age of 48 my family pulled together and purchased the first lesson yipee... Totally hooked....Currently at 40hr mark with a couple xcountry lessons to go for full RAA, money and time permitting.. Now the ownership bug has bitten something cronic, what a mine field of choices. The long and the short of it for me is Money.......so I'll build one .Hmmm which one ..Let me see...I like steel , 100kt cruise , Vw engine( yeah I KNOW your all cringing) 2place ,trailerable etc etc...... so the dots line up for Sonerai11 stretch

Bought a set of sonerai plans 6mths ago, have the jig table made and anxiously awaiting arrival of the chromoly for frame Any advice hints or something I might us on the build feel free to contact me.. Regards craig

Hi Craig,

My step son (in his late 30's) has a half built Sonerai and his father (my better half - and what a catch!) is a plane builder too. We trailer the Karasport, but the downside is the single seat - only one of us can fly. Step son is into designing his own craft so the build is a bit on hold.

I have been around and in Sonerais and they are slippery. Not something to jump into with low hours - so take it steady. The first one I was involved with was bought by a newly licenced pilot who was genuinely frightened by it, but had to fly it interstate as he had already shelled out the money and needed to get it home. Locally it was known as "Lyall's Death Trap" but, pleased to say, after a few heart in the throat incidents and many flying hours he mastered the beast and is still flying (something else now).

Best wishes - post if you need some help/hints, and welcome.

Sue

Guest check-in

Hi Craig and welcome. From your handle, do you also ride a Guzzi? I will be down your way in April on my Guzzi California, with wife in tow doing the Tassie tour. She won't fly that far, but is happy on the bike. Strange cattle, women....

Would love a look at your Sonerai project.

Absolutley, have a 95 model 1100 sports with 40mm keihin carbs .....Love to meet you and your wife, and you are more than welcome to visit ..who knows we might come for a ride too ! More than happy to share my project ..Keep in touch cheers craig

Hi Craig,

I fly a sonerai 2L from georgetown tas. Rotax 912s powered i would suggest you check out this option, its a bit more work but well worth it. You are welcome to

call down and take a look anytime

Cheers Brian.

• 2 years later...
Thank you to all who have welcomed me to this site...

Hi Craig,

Just found these posts - I have recently purchased a Sonerai 2L with a jab 2200 motor in it. Sue's comments are valid - I called mine an evil plane - but am mastering it and really starting to like it! They are slippery and sensitive - I came from a Jab 160 & 230 - thought they were sensitive but they have nothing on the Sonerai! Hows the build going? Are you finished yet? I ride bikes to - Ducati 916 & a Suzuki GSX 1100 and an Italjet scooter!

Could come & visit sometime! Mike S.

Hi Craig,Just found these posts - I have recently purchased a Sonerai 2L with a jab 2200 motor in it. Sue's comments are valid - I called mine an evil plane - but am mastering it and really starting to like it! They are slippery and sensitive - I came from a Jab 160 & 230 - thought they were sensitive but they have nothing on the Sonerai! Hows the build going? Are you finished yet? I ride bikes to - Ducati 916 & a Suzuki GSX 1100 and an Italjet scooter!

Could come & visit sometime! Mike S.

Hi Mike S, You certainly have a fine stable of motorbikes .

Yeah the build is coming along nicely, fuselage all but finished welding, few minor tabs here and there and could think about painting soon. Will send order for all wing material next week or two($US is really favourable ) Things are on hold for moment as I am working in Young for the next few months .Would like to take the oppurtunity to come and take a good look over your machine some time if we could work something out .

cheers craig

Hi , my name is craig , been a lurker for sometime but have final decided to offically join. Started flying lessons just 18 months ago when at the age of 48 my family pulled together and purchased the first lesson yipee... Totally hooked....Currently at 40hr mark with a couple xcountry lessons to go for full RAA, money and time permitting.. Now the ownership bug has bitten something cronic, what a mine field of choices. The long and the short of it for me is Money.......so I'll build one .Hmmm which one ..Let me see...I like steel , 100kt cruise , Vw engine( yeah I KNOW your all cringing) 2place ,trailerable etc etc...... so the dots line up for Sonerai11 stretchBought a set of sonerai plans 6mths ago, have the jig table made and anxiously awaiting arrival of the chromoly for frame Any advice hints or something I might us on the build feel free to contact me.. Regards craig

Welcome aboard. You should find a heap of knowledgeable old timers here to assist you. Keep us informed of your progress....

Please click one of the Quick Reply icons in the posts above to activate Quick Reply.

Welcome, Craig. Its awesome to seen so many riders of proper motorcycles represented on this forum. Must be a good percentage of all the Guzzis in Oz!

My wife has one of the first V-50's in this country and I have a nice Lario V-65. I toyed with the idea of using a Guzzi engine in my plane, and found that at least one brand of military drone used a pair of V-75 engines. Unfortunately, after lots of research, it looks like any car or bike engine would need a PSRU and that would make the weight greater than the likes of a Jabiru.

Regards,

Lyle

• 2 months later...
Hi Mike S, You certainly have a fine stable of motorbikes .Yeah the build is coming along nicely, fuselage all but finished welding, few minor tabs here and there and could think about painting soon. Will send order for all wing material next week or two($US is really favourable ) Things are on hold for moment as I am working in Young for the next few months .Would like to take the oppurtunity to come and take a good look over your machine some time if we could work something out .

cheers craig

Hi Craig,

Sorry - I have only just found this reply although I have been on the site a few times since Feb. Are you still in Young? I am in Orange - a short flight away or drive - I could fly there & give you a look at the plane or you are most welcome to come visit - that is if you are still in Young! I think you probably replied when I was having trouble with my computer so the thread reply has gone missing!!

Mike S

Hi Craig,Sorry - I have only just found this reply although I have been on the site a few times since Feb. Are you still in Young? I am in Orange - a short flight away or drive - I could fly there & give you a look at the plane or you are most welcome to come visit - that is if you are still in Young! I think you probably replied when I was having trouble with my computer so the thread reply has gone missing!!

Mike S

Hi Mike, currently back in Tas for easter ,but will be back in Young from 14th....and would like to catch up with you if we can organize...0400065825 cheers craig

Hi Craig, will ring you after the 14th!

Mike.