Martin Bromage England to Australia by trike

Tracktop

Its a fair bit harder going that direction - most global circumnavigations choose to head East .

Yes I've noticed that too, any reason in particular do you know of??

Those mad South Africans flew around the world in their Sling 6 months ago travelling west.

Some legs over water were over 3,000k.

Around The World Expedition 2009 - The Airplane Factory, Johannesburg, South Africa

Going east normally means prevailing winds are in your favour. In a trike, that would be your biggest requirement I'd imagine.

Guest Crezzi

Slarti is quite correct - most earth rounders go east because of the prevailing wind direction.

On trips like these, headwinds are painful in all sorts of ways -

More time flying over water, mountains, jungle etc (Ie a lot of the UK - Aus route)

Lower g/s makes some legs impossible such as crossing borders where you have to leave & arrive at designated airfields (from personal experience most countries aren't happy about light aircraft dropping in without clearing customs - !)

More overnight stops - costs time & money

Enormous landing fees in some countries - extra stops there can cost $1000+

Cheers

John

What type of trike will be used? I didn't see any mention or pictures on the link provided.031_loopy.gif.e6c12871a67563904dadc7a0d20945bf.gif060_popcorn.gif.cda9a479d23ee038be1a27e83eb99342.gif

Hi

Its a Quick R

Here are a few more links

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7zjsZNx7Bg"

Different video in this one - haven't rechecked but this could be the one that was on telly

in the last couple of weeks

BBC - Gloucestershire - Solo microlight trip 'down under'

London to Sydney Solo by Microlight

Martin Bromage (flexwing) on Twitter

Ok one good question actually it 2 031_loopy.gif.e6c12871a67563904dadc7a0d20945bf.gif

What is a realistic cruise speed for this machine and what is his flight endurance without refueling, because i really would like to do it in a gyro.

Guest Crezzi

They will certainly cruise at 80kts+. I've not flown one yet so don't know what rpm but would guess up to 4 hours endurance at that speed. For trips like RTW & UK-Aus its customary to add some sort of extra fuel tanks though.

There was a RTW attempt by gyro a few years ago - the original www has gone but theres some info at Expedition Global Eagle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. Unfortunately it wasn't successful despite some fairly serious backing (inc from the British Army)

John

I think I read somewhere that he has added or was having made another 70lt tank

Must be fairly reasonable endurance as he has fitted a comfort pipe -

there was discussion there about the dia not being big enough. 036_faint.gif.544c913aae3989c0f13fd9d3b82e4e2c.gif

Guest Crezzi
there was discussion there about the dia not being big enough.

Of course - he's a trike pilot so the standard size was bound to be too small 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

John

• 2 weeks later...
So sad, but how could he have made such a bad decision as to attempt the channel crossing with weather closing in.

At the time of his departure I believe the forecast was for improving weather in the channel.

When you have press & tv present to record your departure it becomes a lot harder to say "No I'm not going".

His permissions to fly through many of the countries enroute would have start & end dates. If you miss those it can mean days, weeks or months of negotiations to get new ones - effectively ending the trip. More pressure to fly in sub-optimal conditions.

They've been having some interesting weather over there - possibly yesterday was better than it has been & maybe better than the forecast for the next few days. I know from experience that on these sort of expeditions you can't just fly when its cavok, light wind and perfect forecast. You have to make some very hard decisions about when or whether to fly with lots of pressures & influences that aren't a factor for most of us most of the time. Terrible that it ended the way it did - he seemed like a decent bloke.

John

PS not trying to justify the decision making just explain some of the factors which MAY have contributed.