text books and stuff

hey all i hope you can help me out with this one i hope to start my training with in the year but to minimise time spent on the ground and all the i was hoping to buy the text book myself and study them before turning up makes sense but im not entirly sure which manuals are applicable or not. so i was hoping some one could tell me what books will help me??? im going for my RA-Aus certificate and then i will do my X-country.

cheers all..

I'd suggest going to the flying school you're proposing to train at and talking to the Chief Flying Instructor.

It makes a lot of sense to get in early building up your knowledge, although some of the information won't make much sense until you actually do it.

If you tell him what you want to do, he'll match that up with his training programme so you won't waste a lot of time on information you don't need.

Hey Country Kid, Turboplanner is right, I'd go to your flight school you propose to use, and even do a half hour TIF (Trial Instructional Flight). It will make heaps more sense to you when reading your books after doing that. Trust me!

If you're a country kid like me, you'd like the "Dyson-Holland" Training manuals, who knows your instructor may already be using them. Ask him what he uses, and 90% of the time they have them to sell to you.

Failing that, the ATC flight training student package is pretty good apparently available right Here at the Clearprop shop. I haven't used these, but others say they are good.

Then another practical one is "PPL Book" by Jim Davis, A very easy going book... probably doesn't cover all the nitty gritty to much, but is great to get your head around things.

Hope that helps.

Ps. Just Google the book names for places to buy them...

Guest burbles1

I've found that the RA-Aus pilot certificate Ground Training Manual is easy to read, comprehensive and of course very relevant to recreational aviation. Other manuals tend to be more oriented to general aviation and cover topics that are more relevant in later stages of training (i.e. post-Certificate navex's). I also have Bob Tait's BAK, and the ATC student pilot kit, but think the RA-Aus material is more accessible. There's also the GPPP book which is relevant for Human Factors.

If you're just going to get one book, the best bang for your buck is the Dyson-Holland "RA-Aus Pilot Certificate Ground Training Manual" - it covers everything you need to know to pass the exams, and has good practice questions. If you work your way through it as they suggest, you should have no troubles passing the exams.

If you want to learn more than the bare minimum, then the ATC or Bob Tait books are good - ATC is more comprehensive but a more difficult read, Bob Tait very user-friendly.