One winged F15 landing!!!! - no joke!

Tomo

Ok, it is true... and is quite possible.

Been talking to Matt Hall (who flew and instructed in them) and said it did happen, the lift from fuselage is quite sufficient to supply enough lift for it to fly, and the controls on the other surfaces were able to be used to maintain control.

Also happened to one of our hornets in the late 80s apparently, had a mid air and lost over half his wing, and flew home successfully.

So, from the man who flew and instructed in them, it is and was done. ;)

An incredible feat though if you ask me!

Ps. If you could find the article Spin, I'd love to see it.

Tomo, that hornet is the one that colided with Wing Commander Fox, during an exercise out of Tindal, unfortunately the wing hit Wing Commander Fox,s Canopy he died, , im pretty sure it was 1990, i was at 482 sqn at Amberley at the time. Is was about half the wing, well a little less than half from memory.Im going from memory though and it was a long time ago.Cheers

PS_ im still,sitting on the fence on this one. Im not saying it didnt happen, and if Matt said it did,he would know, thats good enough for me. But there are some things that still dont add up. Just another one, off the top of my head, A- They new they where in a collision with another A/c, they lost control for a while, before he gunned it to after burner, why risk your life to try and fly back to a airfield and land when you could lose control on final approach. It would be safer to let Martin Baker (ejection seat manufacture-made in the UK)save your life, wouldnt it ?, with the [posibility of spinal compression or not. Cheers

PS- as i said yesterday TOMO, Great Video mate, it has been a great disscusion piece.

The undercarriage retracts into the side of the fuselage, just beside the engines