strobe light schematic

Guest 4aplat

Yes Ron the problem is watts amps I kind a take that with a grain of salt or sodium or silicon as it is not the power input but the power output we are looking for all about the efficiency.

it looked good, a plug in fix.

Back to present reality 20 Watt Emitter Neutral Weiß 1360 Lumen 120°

LEDs-and-more.de

even a rotating beacon with a little ? 10 watt incandescent will be more powerful than a fixed flashing 10 watt led due to the concentration of the beam.

Seoul Semiconductor, Inc

This Led has 4 lights on one chip I have read that you can cut on the back and make it series bringing it close to 12 volts by flashing it using a car flasher ie 50% on %50 you will get more Lux and not burning it out with the charging voltage 13.7.

At this time I think 2 X P7 back to back on each side at about 900 lux per led using a car flasher is maybe the simplest way

I have a 50 watt halogen l/r without reflector and it is not great , so concentrated power is the go using a relay and capacitor for the flash .

The great thing is there are many members who do this for a living and give more ideas

Seoul Semiconductor, Inc

Thanks everyone

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest davidh10
Yes Ron the problem is watts amps I kind a take that with a grain of salt or sodium or silicon as it is not the power input but the power output we are looking for all about the efficiency.

Very true. Of course there's reflector and lens efficiencies to add to the equation.

even a rotating beacon with a little ? 10 watt incandescent will be more powerful than a fixed flashing 10 watt led due to the concentration of the beam.

Oh, but now we are talking input power again and with lamp types that have vastly different efficiencies. Just using rules of thumb:-

• A 6 Watt LED, if you get the right one, provides about the same light output as a 50 Watt quartz halogen globe.

• A Quartz Halogen globe gives about twice the light output of a normal incandescent of the same wattage.

So what you are saying is that a 10W incandescent is brighter (more light power output) than a 10W LED. OK, using the above the total light output of the LED would be 10 times the light output of the incandescent. So, to be brighter, the incandescent would have to have all its light focussed into less than a tenth of the beam width covered by the LED.

If the reflector is round, ie. same horizontal and vertical beam widths, then its beam width is 150 degrees to be compliant with the standards (+ / - 75 Degrees from the plane through the wings).

LEDs are not omnidirectional, so lets assume that it is fashioned to mount on one wing and cover the 180 degree horizontal plane and 150 degree vertical plane.

We are now comparing an incandescent of 1 tenth light output and 0.83 times the beam coverage. In other words, the LED is 8.3 times the energy output in the same beam coverage area.

Now lets understand that the required brightness is not uniform with vertical angle and it gets even more complicated. The required coverage is 150 degrees vertical angle and 180 degrees horizontal angle per wingtip (ie. 360 degrees altogether).

Just for comparison, the AveoFlashLP LSA wingtip strobe component uses 1.65 Amps at 12 Volts (19.8 Watts input power per unit - No light output measurement is quoted). You mount one on each wing tip and they are so bright that you cannot look straight at them when in close proximity to the aircraft. They operate on 9-32 volts and don't require any external controllers or drivers.

The FAA published standards were easy to find. I'm making a leap of faith, and assuming that Australia does not have a different standard! :peepwall:

Once you delve into it in depth, it is apparent that it is virtually impossible to compare apples with apples, however I'm very happy with my AveoFlashLP LSA lights purchased in Australia, here. Yes, they are expensive, but they work beautifully and are standards compliant.

• 3 weeks later...

New 3w LED STROBES HAVE ARRIVED !!!!!!

Taking into account all of the mathamatical equations etc.

This is how I would explain it in simple terms.

My 2 light heads arrived, each fitted with 9 x 3 Watt LEDS mounted on three triangular bases that are mounted inside a sealed clear half dome about 2/3rds the size of a golf ball.

The whole unit weighs about 1lb & goes through 19 flash patterns.

How bright ???? Well if you look at them, it's the same as looking at a camera flash, with spots in your eyes for couple of minutes. (They are that bright & that's standing around 4 meters away).

Because of the strobing, the generated light is illuminated longer than a conventional Xenon flash, therefore it is picked up better by the eye & your seen better.

A good Xenon Strobe may emit 80 flashes per minute, but the LED's produce over 10 times that figure per minute, & bearing in mind, the only time they are of use, are on cloudy days, a more constant light is easy to track & refocus on than 1 flash every now and then.

Best of all, $200 compared to around $1000

Don't be put off on what you see on Youtube, they are heaps brighter, as the cameras cannot capture the effect accurately.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Hi Michel

Thanks for the info on do it yourself strobes thats great. I am in the electronics business so will look at doing the pcb's and making some up to see how they go. Although my french is very poor its been 40 years since I did french at school :(

Will have to use a translation webpage

Mark

• 3 months later...

HI Michel

Where did you get the cover from for the nav lights? also are you using a pic or Atmel as the micro to do the flashing sequence.. Do you plan to have the controller in the main aircraft or maybe use one of the smaller micros and put all the electronics as self contained in each light?

Mark

Guest 4aplat
HI MichelWhere did you get the cover from for the nav lights? also are you using a pic or Atmel as the micro to do the flashing sequence.. Do you plan to have the controller in the main aircraft or maybe use one of the smaller micros and put all the electronics as self contained in each light?

Mark

Hi Mark

here is the link to the cover supplyer

http://commerce.ciel.com/ulmtechnologie/Article/Coupole-de-remplacement-profilee_this.aspx?

I think you can get it from spruce

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/search/search.php

There's no pic, just 2 lm555 (or 1 lm556) and 1 MOS transistor

I don't know if i will use one controller in the plane or one in each wing

MicheL