New Prop

Admin

Guest Crash Lander
Simple, you can't legally exceed your maximum takeoff weight thats what what "maximum" means dosn't it? (tongue in cheek).If you read Ian's post carefully no where in it did he say that he exceeded maximum takeoff weight or will exceed maximum takeoff weight.

I'm sure Ian's passenger if 90kg then he will reduce his fuel load or take his passenger to the steam room first.

When we crunch numbers to achieve our figures for weight and balance we shed something somewhere if over elsewhere it's the PIC obligation and legal resposibility to do so.

Assumptions drawn from text can be very dangerous so one has to be carefullnot to make the wrong assumption because of a lack of facts which could thereafter put all concerned in the gun.

I hope that you are not offended by my comments but I have notice some dangerous assumptions drawn on innocent statements made in certain of these forums.

Always remember that someone maybe watching who could make life very difficult for us all if predisposed to do so.

Just a word of advice from the intiated.

Kindest regards,

too all.

Perhaps you misunderstood what I was geting at, or I worded it badly. I wasn't accusing him of flyingt he plane over weight. I was asking how a plane can have two seats, but not really be able to carry 2 people with any safe amount of fuel.

Guest Crash Lander
All good except that the Gazelle MTOW is not 544 kg's!

I thought the MTOW or any RAA registered a/c was 544kg. Obviously I'm wrong.

Guest brentc

The Gazelle MTOW is definitely not 544 kg's.

Be very careful with this.

544kg's is the absolute maximum take-off weight for any RA-Aus registered aircraft (excluding LSA), but not including all RA-Aus aircraft.

The Gazelle MTOW is 520kgs, meaning that in theory that you would be exceeding the aircrafts design specifications if you loaded it to 544, not to mention being illegal.

As an example, a single seater Corby might be 300 kg's MTOW as it's not designed at 544 kg's.

Sometimes the limit is a structural one and sometimes it's a legal one based on the country. Eg. Jabiru 230 and J430 are the same aircraft, yet under RA-Aus the 230 is 544 kg's and the J430 under GA is 700.

I hope that clears things up a little.

Guest Crash Lander
The Gazelle MTOW is definitely not 544 kg's.Be very careful with this.

544kg's is the absolute maximum take-off weight for any RA-Aus registered aircraft (excluding LSA), but not including all RA-Aus aircraft.

The Gazelle MTOW is 520kgs, meaning that in theory that you would be exceeding the aircrafts design specifications if you loaded it to 544, not to mention being illegal.

As an example, a single seater Corby might be 300 kg's MTOW as it's not designed at 544 kg's.

Sometimes the limit is a structural one and sometimes it's a legal one based on the country. Eg. Jabiru 230 and J430 are the same aircraft, yet under RA-Aus the 230 is 544 kg's and the J430 under GA is 700.

I hope that clears things up a little.

OK, so then how can it be used as atrainer? The empty weight of the Gazelle is 330kg, plus me at 85kg, plus an instructor at say 90kg leaves 15kg for fuel. How many litres of fuel is that? Certainly not enough to do a dual cross country! 85kg, and 90kg (guessed weight of my instructor) are not large for an adult!:;)2:

Guest brentc

The same way that the LSA 55 Jabiru has been operating for many years as a trainer - Illegally!

330kg empty

333 with oil

39kg's fuel (48 + 4 litres header)

72 standard weight occupant pilot

72 standard weight occupant passenger

Total 516.

Leaves 4kg for your spare undies and tie-down kit.

Same problem with the little Jabs that have a 450 kg MTOW and an empty weight of around 270kg.