Flying to tamworth

Guest drizzt1978

Guest drizzt1978
Tamworth Airport - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/url]

Yea i wikipedia as well, once i saw Qantas, i didnt even look into it, but i believe its all controlled airspace immediately around the town/airport...

What would be the closest strip to Tamworth Town??Any suggestions??

Check out the strips & gliding club at Lake Keepit which is closest, Gunnedah is 65 kms, Quirindi is a nice strip too.

Tamworth is controlled and busy with BAE's training aircraft. RPT's are not so many.

There are a lot of farm strips all around Tamworth. I have flown in and out of Tamworth Airport. No real problems. A mate has a private strip to the west of the airport which he goes between to get fuel.

Keepit is a fair distance to Tamworth town.

Scotty

Hhhmm...Dexter, you may have a point. I have a PPL so maybe thats why :hittinghead:

I need to read up on that. Im not sure of the requirements and if an RAA ticket is enough. Would need radio for sure.

We just radio from the ground at my mates air strip and get a clearance. Nothing hard about it.

Scotty :Flush:

Hi drizzt1978,

Yup - no PPL no TMW.

SkyRanch is 42km by road to the west of TMW and my base.

Quirindi is quite a way out of town too but not as far as SkyRanch is. Are you transiting and need fuel - happy to help if I can. Some basic accommodation at SkyRanch also.

Cheers

HunterJ

Guest drizzt1978

Hey Hunter:

I hope to have to go there for business latter in the year. Me and a mate from work thought it might make a nice excuse to take the j230 for a long haul! So I need to land as close as i can, and get transport into Tamworth, Im guessing once im there for the two days i can walk around or taxi, Its a lot more practical to Qantas link and hire a car, but that would be zero fun!

We have the power to make magic happen!

SkyRanch is secure so you can go to town without worrying about the plane.

Give me a yell as you get closer to launch date and we will see what can be done to accommodate one of our 'Mexican relo's'

By the way - go the Swans.

Cheers

HunterJ

Can I suggest there was a private field at Somerton we used to glide at which is only 15k's from town,or Lake Keepit Soaring club another 30 k's west. Other than that there's Godfrey's sky ranch as suggested and I recall there's a couple of ag strips as well near nundle SE of Tamworth. Maybe this helps- you could speak to the guys at Tamair for more local advice....

The field at Somerton is now controlled by the model aircraft club and is not really seviceable for 'real' aircraft use.

Much harder to get into TMW from Nundle.

Godfrey's strip is further to the north east of SkyRanch near Manilla.

Cheers

HunterJ