DaP ON SHORT FINALS

DaP

Hi,

I am in the process of relocating to Canberra from South Africa, arriving 1 May 2010, with my Samba XL. I need a lot of advice and assistance with the following:

1. Hanger space, preferably out of controlled airspace?

2. Assistance with registration of the Samba as well as nearest AP?

3. Convert SA recreational license to Australian license?

Dirk

Hi DaP,

Welcome to Oz, and also these forums which are great.

You may not get much of a responce this Easter weekend as the majority will be at NATFLY which is the biggest RAA aircraft event on the calender. However, i'm sure you'll get a lot more welcomes,and be able to get all the answers you need when they get back.

Kind Regards

Planey

Hi Dirk

Can't help you re the Canberra side of things, however there are others on here that should be able to point you in the right direction. You will definitely need somewhere outside of controlled airspace though and hangarage is as always an issue.

As far as your licence goes, from my own experience with a foreign licence, there is no conversion per se, however it is as easy as joining RA Aus as a student and fronting up to your local CFI with your logbook. He will assess your flying and bring you up to speed on local rules and conditions before signing you out with an RA Aus licence. From memory there is a 5 hour minimum and that applies to anyone converting to RA Aus, be they a local ATP or foreign licence holder. You'll be expected to write some of the exams as well. Have a look at the RA Aus website, the process is fairly comprehensively explained there. Must say I enjoyed it, never a bad thing to have to revise your knowledge.

Come to think of it, your first port of call should be joining RA Aus before you even ship the aircraft, they are a really helpful bunch and they are the ones who'll need to sign off on the aircraft and your licence anyway.

Good luck with the move and with getting airborne down under.098_welcome.gif.81ff07d492568199326e4f64f78d7bc6.gif

Carl

Guest Decca

Hi Dirk, welcome to our forums.

It's already happening, you'll get plenty of supportive advice here.

Good luck with your big move.

Regards, Decca.098_welcome.gif.81ff07d492568199326e4f64f78d7bc6.gif

Hi, I am in the process of relocating to Canberra from South Africa, arriving 1 May 2010, with my Samba XL. I need a lot of advice and assistance with the following:

1.Hanger space, preferably out of controlled airspace?

2.Assistance with registration of the Samba as well as nearest AP?

3.Convert SA recreational license to Australian license?

Dirk

Hi Dirk.

I'm finally back at work and have had time to read all the posts I missed.

The closest hangarage to Canberra is at Goulburn (about 1 hour's drive), Polo Flat (about 1 hour's drive), Adaminaby (about 1 hour 20) or Moruya (about 1 hour 20). There is probably some hangar space at all of them.

At Natfly we had a meeting about a new airfield for Canberra (the current airport is not GA friendly and RAAus is right out). Things have taken a turn for the better and it is possible we will have it running in 2 years.

All your registration and licensing queries should be directed to the RAAus office.

Do some investigation into those fields and if you need more specific information let me know.

Good luck with the escape out of Africa.

Hi all,

Thanks for all the feedback and advice.

Can people currently involved at the airfields located at, Goulburn, Polo Flat, Adaminaby or Moruya, please contact me?

Would like to acquire more information in respect of hanger space available, who to contact as well as general info on the fields.

Thanks

Dirk