Another NEW Savannah XL on its way

Kyle Communications

Not a weakness...just crappy explanations. The inside wall of one of my tanks had a bigger round corner and the measurements they give in the manual which by the way worked reasonable for the other 3 tanks although I did modify them a little after finding this first tank issue. But because my tank was a little larger the fitting wouldnt pull up flush. So had big dramas. Elongated the hole...big mistake but Danny managed to grinding back the inside a little now so the hole has been opened up a little to make it rounder and I have made a fitting up that is now 14mm thread diameter and now I have a Oring either side which will seal off on the inner and outer surface. Oring groove machined into the machined fitting and the nut. Easy to do if you have a lathe. I love haing machinery...and the CNC was used to flycut the sides of the nutIMG_4199.jpg.a598f1f589f30aba1ca13d57e2aa8c8f.jpg

IMG_4198.jpg.e49f05d3d1fa2cf11fff99b1b3c2d621.jpg

IMG_4200.jpg.8b58af893f65854734d6af0e1af8f149.jpg

I fitted the new flap brackets this morning. It works a treat and took around 30 mins. I had to drill the holes in the base plate but all I did was get the oringal bracket placed them opposite to each other and marked the holes through with a felt tip marker then checked allignment looking from the outside. Drilled the 2 end holes and used clecos to hold the one bracket in then drill the rest and clecoed them. The the other side I did the same to check alignment and again the same process. Everything lined up perfect. The brackets are now out as I have to relieve a small bit out of one side for the twin stick arrangement and paint them the rivet it in. Made a short video to show how it works

• Like 5
  • Winner 1

Just a reminder that this bracket changes where no flap and full flap positions are. Your full flap will be further out from Jim and the Twins now...much more comfortable. No flap of course is lower towards the floor

• 4 weeks later...
Got the top of the block machined and now also drilled both. I just need to trial fit to make sure it all fits correctly[ATTACH=full]47380[/ATTACH]

We may have to set up an account with you over there if this goes on.............)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Hi Mark, you fitted Condor 6.00 X 6 wheels. Did you drill the offset valve hole in the wheel hub, as per the manual?Thanks.

DON'T DRILL !!

Just get the tubes with the right angle brass stem that they should be supplied with anyway and mount the stem out through the two half holes in the rim casting.

DON'T DRILL !!Just get the tubes with the right angle brass stem that they should be supplied with anyway and mount the stem out through the two half holes in the rim casting.

Sorry Mark/Steve...I deleted my question having found Steve's earlier posts on the matter of Condor 6 X 6 and standard rims.

Unfortunately, I already drilled because although I have the tubes with the rt angle stems, the stems are still offset in the inner tube.

Well, that's my excuse........

I have now discovered...as Steve and others already said....that the Condor bead is too big to fit that way.

So now my question is how to bung up the holes I just so carefully and neatly made....?

Reg welds them up, I would probably go to a tyre shop and get black plastic plugs designed for the job and put them in the offending hole, pump the tyre up then promptly forget they are there.

Thanks Steve. Yes, I'm inclined to do something like that: I can see welding maybe introducing other problems with these light castings, unless the man on the torch really knows his stuff. (And if the wheel is okay with a drilled hole and plastic bung in the centre, why would it not be okay with a drilled hole (bunged) and the valve back in the centre?)

So we use the original hole, and it doesn't matter that the valve is offset towards one side of the inner tube by about 25mm?

Thanks Steve and Mark. You've given me plenty of options.

I think I'll see what, if anything, the tyre shop has.

Or trim one side of the supplied plugs, so as to retain the lip on the inside.

Then glue in place to prevent ingress of dirt etc, also to avoid losing plug at some future tyre event....?

Thanks Steve. Yes, I'm inclined to do something like that: I can see welding maybe introducing other problems with these light castings, unless the man on the torch really knows his stuff. (And if the wheel is okay with a drilled hole and plastic bung in the centre, why would it not be okay with a drilled hole (bunged) and the valve back in the centre?)So we use the original hole, and it doesn't matter that the valve is offset towards one side of the inner tube by about 25mm?

Think of it as lightening holes. A few more and your plane's total mass may end up 299 kg 003_cheezy_grin.gif.c5a94fc2937f61b556d8146a1bc97ef8.gif

Think of it as lightening holes. A few more and your plane's total mass may end up 299 kg 003_cheezy_grin.gif.c5a94fc2937f61b556d8146a1bc97ef8.gif

I wish! With long range tanks, bigger wheels and adjustable seats, most builds now seem to be coming in well over the magic 300 number...

Well the day has finally arrived. My parachute is here :) now got to fit it which will be interesting especially for my weight and balance. Its a bit of a mission getting "dangerous goods" from Europe to here but its now done and dusted and if I want another one I am much wiser and it will be a lot easier.

IMG_4394.jpg.e529429e11a8416d571b27e5c4c64f7f.jpg

IMG_4395.jpg.7f7b0e63bdbdc3a33c056cf20930948a.jpg

IMG_4390.jpg.1e83cf65f124496326c518ef37f5b8b9.jpg

• Like 3

Its a mission but I got lucky too..I also know so much more now on how to do it and WHO can do it. There are special licences required and delivery sites and transport but it is do able if you know the right people now. I will probably leave this one in "the girlfriend" and get another for Mabel when the time comes. Getting 2 in at once and sharing the special freight requirements will save bucks as they can only be airfreighted. AND they can not be sent on any passenger aircraft they must come on air cargo only aircraft. Mine came on a Emirates cargo flight

• Informative 1

Just an update on the new flap brackets, I had them installed last week and starting to play with the different configurations.

First of all I'd like to thank you Mark for this bracket, it does add options in the landing configurations and it is working very nicely.

So far I think I will be using it like so but it might change with more experience :

( No flap : Slot [1] --> Full flap : Slot [4] )

Take Off - Normal

Wind - Low to moderate : Slot [2]

Wind - Strong - Gusty : Slot [1]

Take Off - Short

Wind - Low to moderate : Slot [3]

Wind - Strong - Gusty : Slot [2] or Slot [1]

Landing - Normal

Wind - Low to moderate : Slot [2]

Wind - Strong - Gusty : Slot [1]

Landing - Short

Wind - Low to moderate : Slot [3]

Wind - Strong - Gusty: Slot [2] or Slot [1]

Landing - Very Short

Wind - Low to moderate : Slot [4]

Wind - Strong - Gusty : Slot [3] or Slot [2]

Xavier

• Helpful 1

Thats great xavier. You are using it exactly how I envisioned it when I added the extra flap slot. I will finally get to fly mine tomorrow morning or sunday morning. Its been too hot and windy here this past couple of weeks when I have had the time available to fly.

Xavier how do you find the new geometry of the flap handle.? This was the main reason I changed mine when I did it nearly 5 years ago now. The extra stage slot was after just flying it and I felt it needed that extra stage

Mark, yes it is easier to move the flaps to all position with the new geometry.

But what I enjoy the most is the extra position, more configuration, more option, more safety !

Happy days !

Xavier