Another NEW Savannah XL on its way

Kyle Communications

Trim Tabs questoiin

Hi Mark, looks like a neat job on the fuel tanks. At least I've an idea how they go now. I've put together the stabilizer, elevator and trim tab over the last coulpe of days, main problem is the maual shows p[arts of three different sytems. Short trim tab, long trim tab and long trim tab with electrical opperation. Once I sorted out which system I had and which "sketches" were relavent it all went together OK.[ATTACH=CONFIG]19318[/ATTACH] Keep up the good work Ian

Hi Ian, do you happen to know if the different trim tabs are different designs over time OR are they different options available to Savannah kit buyers?

Hi 80K

Outback Aircraft

[email protected] is his email

From what I can see the new style trim tab is a design development on later models. the manual hasn't had a full clean out there is still a lot of older slat info and VG info also VG XL info. It really needs a english speaking person to go through the manual and translate the italenglish into english. I would have though Skykits or similar in the USA would have done it but it would be a massive job to do. if it was done right it would just be the best aircraft to build. The diagrams and drawings are very good its mainly only the text also I would like to see some order of build incorporated as well

The name change is due to me being on the supplyer forum now

Mark

• Like 1

Hi guys

Didnt go up the property this weekend the council ring on thursday when I tried to arrange to meet them 2 weeks ago so will go up next weekend now for the final plumbing inspection..thank god.

Anyway this gave me time to do a bit of work on the sav again. I have put the rest of the fittings into the fuel tanks now and sealed them over also looked at what extra gear I will need to do the pipework and tube. Have got a 1/4 inch tube bender ordered so i can bend the alu tubes for the second tanks also I might just have a small piece of larger hose onto the extra tanks then mate it up to a 10mm piece of alu pipe to run the second fuel lines at the trailing edge inside the wing I don't like the idea of flexible hose on that tank flopping around but will see how that pans out.

The big thing I did was sort out a easy way for those fibreglass tips. I spoke last week about making a plywood former to slip into the nose skin to help form it to the shape to put the tips in. You will see by the pics I made one after taking a template of the nose rib at the root of the wing it only took 3 mins on the bandsaw. I had it the right size straight off and put it in up against the main spar and slid it around and it pulled the nose skin perfectly then it was just a matter of cutting away the excess glass on the tips to make it fit between the strengthening bits on the tips. The hardest part was trimming the fibreglass and with a dremel with a good cutting disk on it made light work of it. It was so good it was easy to hold the tip in place while I drilled the holes for the rivets. All in all I am pretty happy with the way it turned out. There is a couple of small gaps in 1 or 2 places where I had relieved the fibreglass but a small wipe of filler will fix these easily. The main thing is you can leave the former inside until you finish the riveting then you can put your hand through the first hole in the spar and shift the former sideways then you can manouver it out of that hole and its out. I have to say just making that former made a real crappy job extremely easy

Mark

DSC_3149_1.thumb.jpg.b5cc0f6cb7a5b9e2d3766a8c66f3a692.jpg

DSC_3150_1.thumb.jpg.9ead17f9aefd4005f9abfe30d2c1d150.jpg

DSC_3151_1.thumb.jpg.ec94db117fc26015162676e8da4d2527.jpg

DSC_3152_1.thumb.jpg.893c834a73b9f54f8f53aa80a41bd74a.jpg

DSC_3153_1.thumb.jpg.b24e2e8f6cec21fcae4d0aefecd0f528.jpg

DSC_3157_1.thumb.jpg.5e9aebfaf3b19d1c1fcc62436a7ed9c9.jpg

DSC_3158_1.thumb.jpg.a581de457b10751d13e679a4e9153a77.jpg

DSC_3159_1.thumb.jpg.875d30fc4236c81a4b9ad5d833857e1e.jpg

• Like 1

Hi Peter

yes it did..I remember posting a month or so ago about how trying to fit the tips had big knobs on it...and it is true but using this former its a dream now. So easy to do the only part you have any issue with is how much to the relief on the fibreglass to cut away. I did it all by myself with no extra pair of hands so this will tell you how easy it was...literally took me 15 mins to do where as before I mucked around for 2 hours. So making a former is the trick for anyone who is doing a build

Mark

Hi Mark Great Tips for the Tips! I'll certainly give that a go when I get to the wings. I've just finished the rear fuselage. All went well, just it wont fit out the door now! I'll have to either unrivet it or take a chainsaw to the donga wall.[ATTACH]12415.vB[/ATTACH][ATTACH]12416.vB[/ATTACH][ATTACH]12417.vB[/ATTACH]

Ian

P1040279.thumb.jpg.f599d28deb9a9c4205098dfd93197de2.jpg

P1040284.thumb.jpg.dc79e87a71c2a7aa84884c1ebf705a4d.jpg

P1040286.thumb.jpg.d111d38837179219212d45ab9c5c84bc.jpg

Hi Ian

I am leaving the fuselage until last as it is the biggest job also takes up a lot of room. I am building mine at the moment over at the mother in laws place and once the wings complete with tanks done and all the tail feathers will stay over there stored and I have finally made a nice lot of room here at my place so I can build the fuselage here also it will mean I can work on it pretty much any day where at the moment I am only working on the plane about every second weekend. As regarding the donga I think one end of it will be opened up :). You are certainly flying along with yours. I would have loved to do mine here when I started but I have way too much crap in my sheds here

Mark

Inspection Cover

Hi Ian and Mark,

It's good to see the project coming along so nicely. We really appreciate the pictures and the tips ...the most recent being Marks tips about tips along with many others over the last few months.

Hi Mark Great Tips for the Tips! I'll certainly give that a go when I get to the wings. I've just finished the rear fuselage. All went well, just it wont fit out the door now! I'll have to either unrivet it or take a chainsaw to the donga wall.[ATTACH=CONFIG]19394[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]19395[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]19396[/ATTACH]Ian

Ian, I was just wondering why the inspection cover on the fuselage doesn't have the "garden shed" strengthening/anti-oil canning crease in it?

Hi Eightyknots

Thats just the way it came. Its actully where the battery goes, the top edge certainly dosent seem to fit very well, due to it not being bent like the fuselage. I was thinking about putting a crease down it to make it match!

Hi Mark

I'm cracking along now with the front fuse, assembly has moved into the drifter trailer once I managed to get out of the donga. Be careful when you put the long and short floors in, the description is in CAP.15 page 10 when they are installed at page 5! READ PAGE 10 FIRST I Nearly stuffed up badly. I think one of Reg's photos even shows the floor in the wrong order which nearly threw me.[ATTACH]12452.vB[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]12453.vB[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]12454.vB[/ATTACH]The rain finally stoped yesterday long enough the go for a fly, still very wet though[ATTACH]12455.vB[/ATTACH] Good to be in the air again! Firewall tomorow

Regards

Ian

P1040295.thumb.jpg.159f0c23e0ff9e75144bd2de7181347c.jpg

P1040369.thumb.jpg.1e8b0e1915a04921d15bb357a4e473b6.jpg

P1040371.thumb.jpg.9b971c66aa5306072d99666a6523f57c.jpg

P1040347.thumb.jpg.03c10f0f1b3117b4c37d22ee93d5c4fa.jpg

Hi Ian

Wow you are really moving along with yours..I am going up to the property tonight got the final plumbing inspection tomorrow once that is done and passed I have the council out of my hair and then the "improvements" can start up there :)

I bought a compressed air metal knibbler from Trade Tools direct for $68 last week to do the second wings tank hole for the extra tank and also the new dash as mine wont have the standard panel. Tried it here yesterday on the new panel and it was really smooth so don't have too much finishing now just a little filing and it will be ready. I wont get a chance to work on mine until next weekend again :( the only thing I am trying to chase up is a 1/4 tube bender to get the fuel sight gauge done for the extra tanks will get it next week and then I should have the tank installs done on one wing anyway the other wing will only take half the time as this one.

Nice pic of the local area and yes looks like you have had plenty of rain there...it is supposed to rain down this way starting today

Mark

Hi Mark

Lots of progress today, firewall, rudder peddals, front wheel gear nearly in. Rain did halt play for a while though. Work tommorow. Have you tried normal "tin snip's for cutting the hole out with? no good? Doesn't the kit come with sight gauges for the extra tanks? I havn't looked at the wings yet[ATTACH]12480.vB[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]12481.vB[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]12482.vB[/ATTACH]. Good look with the plumbing inspection!

Ian

P1040380.thumb.jpg.3046bd359b461828f930dc33cf4c9e8f.jpg

P1040384.thumb.jpg.e1fe1502a6b5cffa6b96ceed319090d6.jpg

P1040383.thumb.jpg.e57d1d7f118b2df8f648a9d73ef27707.jpg

It's really neat to see the progress on your Savannahs, Mark and Ian.

I can't wait until I have the time, opportunity and dollar$ to start my own plane: hopefully next year. In the meantime, I get a real kick out of seeing the progress on your planes.

G'day Mark and Ian,

Just wanted to echo eightyknots sentiments and pass on some more encouragement 011_clap.gif.c796ec930025ef6b94efb6b089d30b16.gif

I am also enjoying the read and the photos of each of your progress. I'm also hoping to raise the funds next year for a kit, and the Savvy has become my favorite choice so far.

Keep up the good work both of you. I'll have to contact Mark sometime over the Xmas hols and see if I can't come and have a look at the build some time seeing as I'm not that far away.

Cheers,

Mike.

Hi Everyone

I came back from the property early so I had time to work on the tanks today. What a mission it was too. I was told a couple of ways to install the second tanks and thought that sounds easy enough... well maybe not. I will go through my first attempt then do another post with what I ended up with.

The extra tank I wanted to supply the fuel indicators by alu tube as I am not keen on the white tube they supply in the kit. I want to maybe use lexan tube or similar so I can actually see the fuel and having 1/4 inch alu tube I think will give me better options if not it is just as easy to fit the Rislan tube to the alu anyway. I got some rubber grommets from Clarke rubber but they were blank ..no hole in them so I could drill out to the size hole I wanted into the grommet for a nice push fit. I marked and drilled out the holes for the grommets in the second root rib and the tubes come out the pre made larger holes in the root rib. I will drill 2 new holes in the root rib for the main tank indicator. Then I bent the tube using a bender I go it from Autobarn which works like a treat too. You can see what I was trying to do with some nice funky bends it all looked really great and I kept it as close as i could to make it fit past the main tanks. I had it all fitted up but the main tank fit was not good too much pressure on the tubes and the tank so I decided to go another way..that was about 3 hours down the tube :(.

You will also see that I cut strips from sheeting scrap from the tank holes to make 2 skin tensioners to cover the holes cut in the skin. Most guys just fit a strip over them with sikaflex but I made mine go under the other just like as if there was no extra tank there I also made a second set for the main tank and did the same so they are all locked by rivets to the wing skin. All 4 strips are sikaflexed as well so they wont move or slip and give me a lot more strength there than just the skin

Ok another post shortly for the final version

DSC_3164_1.thumb.jpg.844c922eaa0911ad636ac1946f6c04ef.jpg

DSC_3169_1.thumb.jpg.fe53c835adb10ed8fadebe28c4742b64.jpg

DSC_3166_1.thumb.jpg.ca40cda9d6f559ac15cfa63890275177.jpg

DSC_3167_1.thumb.jpg.4b972a3e83c3d70537c34c02fc8eef22.jpg

DSC_3168_1.thumb.jpg.32c7f9734d714a3d8db8782de32d3f78.jpg

DSC_3172_1.thumb.jpg.4a947128633f56bce68843114303e102.jpg

DSC_3173_1.thumb.jpg.2f89c62b250e54fd6cc4172202043c8f.jpg

DSC_3174_1.thumb.jpg.d15cbfadb4ce3265fc131891de2bb31d.jpg

DSC_3175_1.thumb.jpg.4fb3ac3a7ddcccb5aa1538a3154f7d63.jpg

What I ended up with was this

I wasnt happy with the way the tank indicator fitting were placed into the tanks...dont use the measurements in the manual do it by trial and error and marking it will be much better and save a lot of extra drilling and filing and fixing...you will note I have had to put 1 small filler piece in because the hole got what I consider to be a little large. I thought I would just have the 1 bend in the alu tube and use the actual fuel tube to do the bend around the tank. This worked much better so I had some nice conduit feed throughs which the fuel tube fitted nicely through and would make a perfect grommet for the rubber fuel tube so it couldn't be cut or rubbed on through the ribs. These worked so well I will use them in the different sizes for all the rubber fuel hose. The pics are pretty much self explanitary as how it has ended up...I think a much better job all round and probably a bit safer against rubbing. I will check a few more things and clearance around the tanks and maybe might just buffer the tubes with some neutral cure silicone if I need to I will take some more pics of that.

Mark

DSC_3179_1.thumb.jpg.19571b6bb9240ebe2be9808aa2e7981f.jpg

DSC_3180_1.thumb.jpg.8aa0cbe89aefb8cfc2ac3a23f419ca69.jpg

DSC_3181_1.thumb.jpg.7871d818371d863b71220f61651a27aa.jpg

DSC_3182_1.thumb.jpg.f530132526110a00644a81ed12927a81.jpg

DSC_3183_1.thumb.jpg.d38fcd7ec8577458adf6d00ca8a2c6f3.jpg

DSC_3184_1.thumb.jpg.c995cae7431950bd35eaa5afd881ba2b.jpg

DSC_3186_1.thumb.jpg.aecf9eba22e8c3a6f9631ab150f67bd6.jpg

DSC_3188_1.thumb.jpg.8668787809f380f7905843c3d262db89.jpg

DSC_3189_1.thumb.jpg.819f8c7192e25c7acc6ee8d689dc7cdf.jpg

I almost forgot...the wing I am working on is the right wing. The main tank in that wing doesn't have a sight gauge as it is used for the fuel return from the engine....mine will have the fuel return will go into a "T" on the top input to the tank it wont make any difference to the operation but I will know exactly how much fuel I have in all 4 tanks.

Ian

looks like it was raining cats and dogs there...I don't know how you are building the sav in that trailer...I couldn't fit in there with the plane or either i would have a crook back from being hunched over working on it. I am blessed to have a 6x6 mtr pretty much empty garage to build mine in so far and the fuse will hopefully be done over here as I have created a lot more room in my big shed it is 12x7.5 mtrs. I will leave the wings and tail feathers at the other garage until they are needed. You are really powering along with the fuselage how many hours so far do you think you have put into the fuselage

Towering CU yes just ring me 0408724272 and you can certainly come and have a look....I will be spending a bit of time up at the property I think after new years but should be around. The sav is currently over at upper caboolture being built but please feel free to ring me and come and have a look

Mark

Hi Mark Thanks for all the great info on the tanks, it will give me something the think about when I get to the wings. Initially the fuselage grew very rapidly but has slowed down now with all the fiddly bits ont the fire wall. I've no idea how much time spent on it, probaly about 6 days or 60 hours so far. I'll be doing the cabin frame today, it sounds a bit tricky getting the measurments right. I think the secret is "dont rush and read the instructions, read the instructions and read the instructions again"

It is a bit cramped in the trailer but I suspend the fuse from the roof to work underneath. I now have the donga empty to do assemly work then into the trailer to fit bits. All would be fine if if didn't keep RAINING. once the wheels are on I'll move into the hanger for final assembly. Just have to shuffle the other aircraft about a bit.

Keep up the good work

Ian

HI again mark. The card board box of bits for the fuselage is now nearly empty, makes finding pieces much quicker now. I did have a few pieces left that I didn't now where they were to go or should have gone, so I read much further into the instructins and found that most go on installing the main gear. Only a few pieces unidentified now. A great sense of achievment having an empty box!!!!

Ian

Hi Ian

That particular box you are talking about is scarey I must say. I can tell you that the extra tank corner mounting brackets are in there that maybe some you haven't recognised. One of the big things with this kit is finding all the parts. I have had several times when I could not for the life of me find some parts. But eventually they are actually there its amazing how you miss them about 3 times after getting everything out and sorting through them. I would hate to think how many hours I have spent looking for particular brackets etc. The next thing you have to decide is how to mount the engine cowl wether you have the back side of it either above or inside the fuselage firewall area. Some guys seem to have it flush others inside not sure what I will do when it comes to that part I think I will just keep looking at as many as I can and decide then.

JG

thanks for the heads up on the Lexan and fuel...I will do some research into how I will do it...I want the look of clear glass but don't want any glass in there so I will ask a few people I know about what to use but I am sure I can make anything I need to make the couplings to the sight gauges. It helps when you have a 4 axis CNC machine at home :). Also had a think about the fuel return as well I may have to put another entry into the tank for it as having a "T" in the same line will give a false reading of level while the engine is running but not of course when the engine is stopped. I will have a fuel switch system so that I can switch each tank in each side individually basically its 2 switches each one will switch the outer tank and inner tank on each side

Mark

Hi Mark

Whats wrong with using glass? as long as its well mounted and out of the way there should be no way of it breaking. Glass would probably last longest as most plastics will degrade with time.

Just a thougt

Ian

Hi Ian

I was thinking that it could be easily broken but after thinking about it they are way up in the wing root and out of the way and reasonably protected there wouldn't be any issue. This would make life easier as you can buy push in festo fittings like they use in the top of the tank screw caps for the breathers for the tanks. These fittings can be easily made to fit to the end of my 1/4 inch alu tubes coming from the tanks and the glass tubes will have nice seals then I also think you can get the glass tube in a toughened format as well. I will chase this up this week and see what I come up with

Mark

I was thinking if the glass tube was mounted like a thermometer with a wooden, or aluminium, backing so that it cant get damaged it would be OK. If that area of wing root gets damaged in a crash there wouldn't be much left to burn!

Ian