Another NEW Savannah XL on its way

Kyle Communications

To round out that picture, in NZ (which is younger and lumpier than Oz) there is a further issue with tank valving, as originally pointed out by Fallowdeer:

When you go bush, a lot of landing places will be sloping, sometimes with no adjacent flat land at all. In which case you can either park across the slope and have all your fuel run to the low tank (and on out the breather if your tanks are fairly full, which then becomes a syphon if you have the standard breathers)......or you can park facing up or down the slope so as to level your tanks, but only if you splashed out on that optional park brake....

I have actually had my fuel sump switch go faulty. How I found it was to actually turn all 4 tanks off while flying and in about 3 mins the light comes on. I do this about once every 6 months to check its ok. My original failed after about 3 years but the current one hasnt missed a beat so far

Mark, that surprises me very much.

But perhaps it shouldn't, given all the lookalike stuff now made by folk who quite evidently don't know what they're making...or don't care.

Were you able to identify what was wrong with it?

No I just ordered a new one from Reg at the time and fitted it. But pretty sure the switch/transistor in the top of it must have died. I was surprised though it failed. Reg did tell me he had a few that had died thats why he kept them in stock

The test button only checks the lamp of course. i fitted a 10mm red LED instead of the bulb but I still do check that as well

I have seen problems in automation where modern PLC inputs (=LED lamp) draw so little current through a field device with mechanical contacts (=low fuel switch) that minor contamination or pitting of the contacts resulted in intermittent operation: the input would fail to switch on despite the points being closed.

It sounds counter-intuitive, but it's like there's not enough current flowing to form a good connection.

With that in mind: if the indicator lamp supplied is incandescent and the LED replacement draws less current, I will instal a resistor in parallel to compensate.

Just metered mine on the bench, Mark. I'm pretty sure it's just a reed switch: with just the meter across it, it's 0.5ohm either direction when closed, and open when open, regardless of polarity.

It maybe so but it was set in epoxy so I didnt worry about it. But it has not failed for 4 years so far. I cant remember the resistor size I had for the 10mm red LED but I would have set the current for around 20ma

I think Bob is implying he will use two resistors. The one will be to limit the current to the LED to stop it burning out. The other will be in parallel with the LED to increase the current through the switch to approximately the same current that the incandescent lamp would have drawn, before it was replaced by the LED. 

That seems the best option, JG3.

But as 80kts has picked, I may add a resistor in parallel to the flashing LED to deliberately increase the current through the switch, as I think mechanical contacts like reed switches can give problems when switching very low currents.

I think Bob is implying he will use two resistors. The one will be to limit the current to the LED to stop it burning out. The other will be in parallel with the LED to increase the current through the switch to approximately the same current that the incandescent lamp would have drawn, before it was replaced by the LED. 

I used these.  Could even salvage some out of a scrapped air frame.  I bought mine from Aircraft spruce. Push into verify working.  I find the sensor activates when the fuel is down at least 80 mm therefore only 5 litres out of the full 6 litres left in the collector / surge tank.  Good to test and verify working from time to time.  I have mine in a different aircraft and where it is placed behind the right seat I can visually see the contents.  This gives good reassurance when near end of a long flight. Cheers

11-04226.jpg.75e00d3b68c723eb9cf98fc8d8b44a49.jpg

P1010779.thumb.JPG.0785b9bd4e0b95575773aa06d10a4f21.JPG

• 1 month later...

Just a quick note to everyone who has read and contributed to this amazing Forum. I have just completed reading all 51 pages of this forum over the last few weeks. It's like reading an exciting TV series. Every day I can't wait to get back onto my computer to get my fix and read the next episode. It's filled with anticipation and drama, but most importantly it's informative and extremely useful to many who read it. My compliments to all who have contributed, not least of which is Mark - your contribution to RA should not go unrecognised. I'm sure you're the envy of many people out there with your skills, and I think most impressive is the variation of your knowledge across metal work, CNC manufacture, electronics and the list goes on (I bet the next thing will be 3D printing). 

I have been re-inspired to one day (in not too distant future) build a plane of my own. It's been a dream of mine since I first heard of it in mid 90's. 

Is anyone coming down to the Avalon Airshow early March? If so it would be a good opportunity to meet, and hopefully have a look at some Savanna's

Barry

Hi Baz

Thank you for your kind words. Yes its a mission to start from page 1 on this thread. Before the site changed last I looked the thread had something like 150,000+ views which totally stuns me. The aim was to help others building a savannah and shortcuts and better ways to do things plus any worthwhile mods to make it a even better aircraft and to also get people more experienced than me to add their comments and ideas so we can all learn something. There is a huge wealth of knowledge held by the people who use this forum and it is all appreciated. 

I have another blog /thread going now about the rebuilding of a wrecked savannah I bought. This has been more than I thought so essentially the whole aircraft is pulled apart down to all the individual parts again then rebuilt. I thought I wouldnt have to go as far as I have with this but as things turn out there are other builders out there that dont have the same quality of work that requires my bum to be in the pilots seat. Here is the other blog if you havent seen it yet

Just a quick note to everyone who has read and contributed to this amazing Forum. I have just completed reading all 51 pages of this forum over the last few weeks. It's like reading an exciting TV series. Every day I can't wait to get back onto my computer to get my fix and read the next episode. It's filled with anticipation and drama, but most importantly it's informative and extremely useful to many who read it. My compliments to all who have contributed, not least of which is Mark - your contribution to RA should not go unrecognised. I'm sure you're the envy of many people out there with your skills, and I think most impressive is the variation of your knowledge across metal work, CNC manufacture, electronics and the list goes on (I bet the next thing will be 3D printing). 

I have been re-inspired to one day (in not too distant future) build a plane of my own. It's been a dream of mine since I first heard of it in mid 90's. 

Is anyone coming down to the Avalon Airshow early March? If so it would be a good opportunity to meet, and hopefully have a look at some Savanna's

Barry

Hi Baz,

Mark has done us a great service in setting up this thread! The many pictures and suggestions he has uploaded are really helpful and informative. Also, other Savannah builders have added their useful suggestions which adds to the richness of this thread.

I finally started to build my Savannah S last month and, being a first time REAL plane builder (I did build my first balsa wood aircraft 50 years ago and other model aircraft after that), threads like this are a fantastic source of extra information.

This thread would have to be one of the threads viewed most times on this forum. Well done Mark: you're a great bloke.

PS: in addition to the Savannah rebuild thread that Mark also started (see the above post), the series of threads from iBob are also really useful.

Thanks Gents, yes I have already been on your Rebuild Blog, enjoying it very much. I'll be in touch from time to time, and if ever you guys are coming down to Melbourne, would be great to catch up - just let me know.

• 5 months later...

Well sadly the time has come :(....its time to sell "The Girlfriend"

If anyone is interested in this aircraft PM me or email me kylecom @ tpg.com.au If you have followed this thread for the past 8 years or so you have seen how she has been built and all the TLC in doing so. You have seen the mods done and the outcome. You have also seen what happened when the nose wheel decided to part company and what was done and how it was fixed. Also the mods done to make sure it wouldnt happen again and to improve other aspects of this great aircraft. I have had some awesome flights with her. She begrudgingly is being sold off to help fund the new one coming later this year "The Mistress" a Rans S21 Outbound and also a house being designed and built up at our farm that of course has a hangar big enough for 2 aircraft and the 2 airstrips. Dont panic though I love my Savannahs and will still have one as most will know by this blog My Savannah S model rebuild Blog This is "Mabel" and she is being reborn to be the one I fly until S21 is finished which will be some time away. Mabel has many other things done to her and also all the mods done on "The Girlfriend" so will be another evolution of my savannahs to make them easier and even nicer to fly. The Girlfriend is advertised on the RAA classified website here is the link if you are interested Aviation Classifieds

These pages are a resource that I am very proud of as I believe it has helped a lot of others all over the world in building their pride and joy as well. I have received so many emails from all over the world about these pages and I hope it stays for a lot longer to help others in their builds. My rebuild blog hopefully helps others as well even though the S and XL models are really basically the same there are some differences. Please feel free to email me at any time if I can help with any issues or problems. Lord knows I have had issues in the rebuild as well and have asked for opinions and advice on it as well. No one knows everything and no question is stupid. We all want everyone to be safe and fly safe and thats what I try to do every day. Anything I find that is applicable to the XL that I find or fix or modify in the S rebuild I will update here as well

Mark

IMG_7122.thumb.JPG.8680755573b8d19e42a177daaafd7ee3.JPG

IMG_7123.thumb.JPG.85b8ef660031eb62e2d18295d5eca142.JPG

IMG_7121.thumb.JPG.d4657eb26efb6a3e3563211ef89b0a52.JPG

IMG_7119.thumb.JPG.51680012ca907964a1fef413b24083bf.JPG

IMG_7116.thumb.JPG.dba1fe4d0b9710128006bebfd1647636.JPG

IMG_7114.thumb.JPG.463358afd64ef9d7f473744b6b45fb1b.JPG

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Well an end of a era tomorrow morning when "The Girlfriend" flys the coup to be with another man.

She will be gone from my grasp but certainly not forgotten.

I hope this blog and all its pages have helped others building their Savannahs.

I have always put in here what I thought would be good and what was and what did not end up being so progressive. This thread showed everything..warts and all and I appreciate all those many many people who gave me advice while putting "The Girlfriend" together and also along the way of our journey for the last 9 years or so. I have also tried to make sure I pay it back to others and certainly feel free to contact me if you want any advice or opinions.

First flight was 27th May 2012..my last flight was 5th of June 2020 so she has been flying for just over 8 years

My current thread is My Savannah S model rebuild Blog this is where I have been rebuilding a wrecked "S" model. Pretty much all of the mods made and fitted to "The Girlfriend" have been put into her..... "Mabel" is this ones name. Plus a few other mods as well. Mabel isnt too far away for being painted then of course its the 90% to go to do assembly and fitout.

Thank you to all who have spent the time to read this thread and added their valuable input. I have enjoyed this ride very much

Mark Kyle

• Like 5
  • Winner 1

Thanks heaps Mark for your efforts in sharing your journey. It has been invaluable for every Savannah owner. I certainly have read it more than once and refer back to it often. I need to pull my wing skins off to fix slight leaks in the fuel tanks and will save many hours reinventing the wheel by copying what you have done. So a big Thank You from all of your fellow forumites!!!

Dean.

• Agree 1

Just this week I was telling another builder: that when I was building SVA, this thread was my principal source of information after the manual.

It's gold, Mark.

Thanks for that.........)

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Thankyou Bob and Jack and Dean. I sort information from a lot of much better builders and people with much more experience than myself in all matters. I like to share information and experiences to make everyone elses life easier and lets face it the easier you can make a task the more fun you have doing it. Not much fun when your standing back swearing at what your trying to get fitted or made. Then again on the rebuild I can tell you the air has turned blue in the shed plenty of times though....Mabel has been a level above this one for trial and tribulations. I am still enjoying it though just get frustrated at times with the extra work I have had to do. Mabel was supposed to be finished 18 months ago. Not too far away now thankfully but it has been far more work than I had anticipated

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Just this week I was telling another builder: that when I was building SVA, this thread was my principal source of information after the manual.

It's gold, Mark.

Thanks for that.........)

Mark has been an inspiration.

When I first researched STOL aeroplanes I found out that I was too tall for the Zenith CH701 after I sat in Hans' CH701 in Queensland. Then John (JG3) showed me his Savannah and took me up for a flight and realised that would now be my choice for more reasons than just the additional cockpit height.

The next problem is that everyone complained about the It-Alien assembly manual. I don't think I would have started my Savannah without Mark's extensive blog (as well as Bob's more recent ones).

These are a great help to all readers/builders of the forum.

Many thanks!!