Garmin 72 as a backup.

Gibbo

Hoping someone can point me in the right direction.

I have a Garmin 72 that would be very handy as a backup GPS when I fly out in the sticks. I recently had a GPS fail 300nm from the nearest licenced strip and had to resort to the old map and compass headings with very few landmarks (Tanami - Gibson desert crossing). Need less to say the workload increased as well as my heart rate... I did have the sat phone GPS to help out but the features are very 'very' limited.

I am not a fan of the AVMAPS to say the least.

Is there anyway of loading the main airstrips onto this GPS? There have been several comments about using standard car GPS's for this purpose - Has anyone done it with a 72???

Gibbo

G'day Gibbo,

I'm not familiar with the "72", I have the Garmin eTrex Vista, but here goes....

Did the GPS come with a cable that connects to a PC? If so, download and install the g7towin program (G7ToWin) and see if you're able to talk to the GPS unit, like get it's ID. If this GPS allows you to upload your own waypoints then get back to me and I'll send you a GPX file that contains all the airfields from ERSA.

Cheers,

Tony

• 4 weeks later...

Works a treat with the waypoints.. Only problem is the 72 does not have enough waypoint memory so I needed to reduce the points down to a usable size. Dont head over to WA very often so out they went.. 5mins to reload the waypoint data so it will become a backup for those 'moments'.

Thanks Tony,......

G