My CH 601 HD Rebuild Thread

Adrian Lewer

Thanks for that, I will sit down tonight with the plans and study it to 100% understand it.

Now for the next question.

I am going to be replacing most paneling due to dings, creases, ETC but how do I get the same rivet hole patern from the sheet ? For instance, my leading edge needs to be replaced so I drill out, remove, push flat onto new material, trace it, carefully markholes then drill ? Is that it or will the aluminium loose it's shape if I bend it back ?

The radius of the bend is not to big as it is the leading edge and is quiet a big chord.

As for the rest of the pannels, the majorority of them are flat so this would (hopefully) be simple,and most of the front is new so no holes to match up, just plumb bob, square up and drill out.

Only thing stopping me now is money. Need to do somthing about that don't I eh.

Whilst on the subject of money props spring into mind. What choices do I have, keeping in mind I have a 3 bladed warp drive hub which is servicable.

Would like to substitute a little speed for faster acceleration and shorter T/O roll

any sugestions on props and how much are they ? ( I know not slot of change from $1000)

Guest ozzie

You can overlay the old skin over the new and drill out the rivet holes UNDERSIZED and the drill out to clearance size when you put the skin on. in some applications you will be able to use a hole locator. this is two strips of metal about 1/2 inch wide (different lengths avaivable) joined at one end. top length has a hole drilled in it and the lower strip has a pin in it that simulates a rivet. place the new skin in between the two lengths and pop the pin in the old rivet hole. drill thu the top hole to locate the old rivet hole. easy to make one or buy.

Thanks Ozzie, just as I suspected. I will have to lay the old skins and do it that way. Good idea about undersized holes first, I would not have thought of that (this is why I ask the question)

all the rivets are scattered no formality anywhere.

Just going into bunnings as we speak to look around and see the different sort of rivets you can buy. Maybe even make sence of the sizing thing.

Adrian,

You said the rivets are scattered?? The usual practise is in lines or zig-zag. The zig-zag system needs to be reasonably neat as it is usually used on a stressed panel/panel under stress while flying. If the rivets are not reasonably precise then the stress is not evenly dispersed. There is plenty of documents on the web that will give you all the measurements for riveting.

You may have to re drill for new rivets. Can you upload a picture of these "scattered" rivets then us oldies and maybe not so old who have done lots of this stuff will be able to help you, you know "one picture worth a 1000 words".

Bob.

Get the pop rivets from Zenith they cost $90 per 1000 plus postage in size A4 - 1/8" and A5- 5/32" as one length fits all.I also bought the rivet gun tips from them which are ground so the c/s rivets set as low domes for extra stregth [via work hardening??????] Cheers T87

LOL now thats an idea, one I did not think of. will ring allen tomorrow.

The scattered rivets are not scattered. I have actually found the reason for the supposed scatteredness (if thats a word) (nope spell check found nothing) 113_im_with_stupid.gif.c7998083611453eb404ccd147fef8c5f.gif

Not sure if you can see, but the little flap sticking up on the port side under the rudder pedal is actually not suppose to be there ? it is a makeshift repair from the (non) reported accident, I have had a look under there and law and behold.... old damage........... Glad I am re skinning the thing and stripping it..... whoever done these mods should be ashamed of themselves, especially to have sold it on to the bloke of whom I got it off... (well his insurance company anyway)

adrian-lewer-albums-my-zodiac-ch-601-hd-rebuild-picture943-firewall-removal.jpg

Here is the engine mount I promised the other day.

adrian-lewer-albums-my-zodiac-ch-601-hd-rebuild-picture997-engine-mount.jpg

This one you can clearly see the mount is bent and the plate was hacked into place to supposedly stop it from bending more ?

adrian-lewer-albums-my-zodiac-ch-601-hd-rebuild-picture996-engine-mount.jpg

This is my F15. Half the size of the CH 601 have had a couple of PM's due to others being in the model side of things and even was able to get a set of plans to another member for a model he had seen in the background of one of my pic's (the orange and white thing on the bench)

adrian-lewer-albums-my-zodiac-ch-601-hd-rebuild-picture998-my-f-15.jpg

Does anyone need a Garmin Ariel and a garmin mount ? if so drop me a line with what your willing to pay,swap and its yours.

adrian-lewer-albums-my-zodiac-ch-601-hd-rebuild-picture999-garmin-ariel.jpg

adrian-lewer-albums-my-zodiac-ch-601-hd-rebuild-picture1000-garmin-mount.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

That's a nice job on the U/C 87. I am now just waiting for a few things to happen at the moment. Minister for war and finance has forbid anymore spending. My computer died 2 weeks ago and the new one cost me my repair on the CH 601. The new baby will be here in 3 weeks so I will have to wait 4-6 weeks before doing anything but this is good as it has given me time to reflect on certain aspects of the rebuild and understand it much better.

Does anybody know where I can buy new wiring for my instrument panel.

Can anybody let me know if the have a builders manual for the HD or HDS ? I have a full set of plans but no builders manual.

Also does someone have a HDS plan set or atleast the wing plan set from a HDS ?

Hi Adrian,

Pitch 40 or whatever is simple. that's the spacing between rivets,i.e. drill a hole every 40mm. Looks like you have plenty of work to do. I'm re-doing wings on my 601XL.

Paul

• 1 month later...

Hi Guy's, Does any one have a few hundred cleco's I can borrow ?not sure of the size 1/8 and er... will have to have a look and get back to you all but you get the picture... am getting close and to keep costs down need to borrow or steal them.....

I have the wing stub skins off and the port side forward fuse skin... will work on the wing stub T/E and turtle deck tonight. 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

Found the left and right top longerons are both bent to a right direction so will need to massage them back straight again they are not bent but more so just teased, so they will be ok. have found alot of bolts and nuts that are different sizes but used in the same spot ? 113_im_with_stupid.gif.c7998083611453eb404ccd147fef8c5f.gif alot of work to do and will bring you more pictures tonight as they are uploaded.

PLEASE LEND ME YOUR CLECO'S

Hi all have some good news, Have a new addition to the family I would like you to all meet

Mason Derek Lewer, Middle name after a friend who passed away not long ago ;)

Born on the 24-06-2010 at 0427 with a MTOW of 6 Pound 12 Oz (Which is what i weighed) 107_score_010.gif.2fa64cd6c3a0f3d769ce8a3c21d3ff90.gif

Bubs had a slightly bad start but is now home doing great with mumvand will not need any further treatment. Will need to get a baby seat into the Zenith ASAP.

1_Mason_Derek.jpg

Here is the progress on the Zenith

1_SANY0072.jpg

And just some time for fighter jet training and a Coffee

1_IMG_0082.jpg

1_SANY0074.jpg

This is where she is at now, Not so strong, just waiting on some sheet and will use the removed bits as templates, If I remove anymore now the project will become unstable and might crease behind the T/E

This is How she looks now

1_SANY0081.jpg

1_SANY0083.jpg

This is part of the paneling I will be replacing see how it is all rippled and creased

1_SANY0085.jpg

BTW How do I get this flat as to keep the hole alignment ?

1_SANY0090.jpg

And this is the Fuselage king in the port side just behind the T/E at the root

I intend to straighten this and use a doubler longeron along it for aproxx 1 foot either side

1_SANY0088.jpg

Slowly she is coming along.

• 5 weeks later...
Hi all have some good news, Have a new addition to the family I would like you to all meet Mason Derek Lewer, Middle name after a friend who passed away not long ago ;)

Born on the 24-06-2010 at 0427 with a MTOW of 6 Pound 12 Oz (Which is what i weighed) 107_score_010.gif.2fa64cd6c3a0f3d769ce8a3c21d3ff90.gif

Bubs had a slightly bad start but is now home doing great with mumvand will not need any further treatment. Will need to get a baby seat into the Zenith ASAP.

1_Mason_Derek.jpg

Congratulations!!!!!!! 011_clap.gif.c796ec930025ef6b94efb6b089d30b16.gif

I have been following your Zenith 601 "baby" until I found out about Mason. He was born on my son's birthday.

I trust everyone's well.

Hi Guy's thanks for the kind words. No australia post for delivery. they are useless.... (but I don't tell my mother that)

Parts ordered today and some materials bought as well... looks like I am making a move along...

Parts ordered today and some materials bought as well... looks like I am making a move along...

Are these parts going to be delivered by Australia Post? (If you are wondering why Australia Post is also called "snail mail" look carefully at their symbol in the picture: You'll clearly see that there is a red snail in the white circle!)

I have followed your CH-601 project with interest, Adrian. I hope the next stage goes well.

• 6 months later...

Hi All I have successfully sold my CH 601 Project (Airframe only I still have the subaru engine and instruments). I will be building something in the future perhaps a 650 or similar. Thanks for all your help guy's I have learnt bucket loads and will keep it in the memory bank for my next build. In my decision to sell one of the reasons was I was unhappy with how things where looking with the project, I want to be able to build something from scratch and know how it was built without flying and thinking (did I miss something ? ) and the fact I have nothing to fly now I am maybe looking at buying a Gazelle or something similar for the meantime whilst I figure out what I want to do. I like the Gazelle as they just fly themselves but want something in the 100 + KTS range so will definitely be building something in the future.

My only debacle now is if I build the 650 I want the pre drilled kit (will have to talk to allan a bit more about this) as it will save a bit of mucking around and also most parts are pre bent ie leading edge skins and ribs. I do consider this to be a lazy man's approach but I would like to dedicate more of the time into triple checking and with a pre drilled and bent kit the chances of the thing being wrong are slim.

Any comments would be appreciated.

not a lazy mans approach, but a very accurate way to build.. The RV's have been using predrilled pilot holes for years.. The 650 is a great kit and you will have one of the most inspected and decleared safe to fly kit aircraft by the FAA, CAA and LAA.

Yes They have been scrutinised to the hilt, I love the lines of this A/C, I just love it. I have pictures and even have a paint scheme in mind, have the panel sorted out, I would like to build her IFR, But have to do a lot more investigating into IFR. I don't want to start anything without having the whole thing planned out (even though it will not finish that way)