Ingham Wings and Wheels

Guest DonningtonSmythe

Guest GraemeM

Can I apply for the job of looking after the pin up girls please. They will need somebody to brush the dust off them and rub a bit of sun screen on every 30 minutes or so.

Graeme.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Maj Millard

My filthy mind such as it is, harkens back to the times when I managed to funangle my way into the pits at the Reno national Air Races. Those who may have also had the pleasure, will know that this is definitly living life on the high side. Sourrounded by the worlds fastest unlimited race planes, and those who pilot, and maintain them.

Mustangs, Corsairs, Seafuries, Bearcats and,....the amazing P-38 Lighting, and everything in between !! Lefty Gardiners 'White lightning' in all it's glory, race ready and out to give the highly strung race Mustangs all the drama it could.

Everytime it came back into the pits an instant crowd would gather and sourround it, Lefty would deplane and sets of steps would be placed either side of the cockpit, by the efficient ground crew. $2 to sit in the still warm cockpit for a minute or two, the line was always a dozen long at least.

It was then that I spotted what was really drawing the crowd !....three very tidy bikined blonds each with a spray bottle , rags and a toothbrush....yes toothbrushes can you believe it !.....

The Lightning, with it's primo paint job would get exhaust soot all over the booms when it flew, from the top-boom mounted turbochargers.

The lovely texan girls would spray and polish said booms until they once again gleamed like the rest of the aircraft. They removed any soot buildup from the rivit heads using the toothbrushes. !....it was a sight to behold how those lovely girls showed such appreciation for such a fine aircraft.....and us for them. 'White lightning' was purchased by Redbull after it was retired from racing, and is now part of the redbull collection in a new guise. It is still in immaculate condition,04.jpg.b88fc584c7fe790c92c9eae52621bf4c.jpg so I guess all that hard boom-cleaning was worth it !...

07.jpg.6575c4e0e9f0f75d3e462bd4560dddfb.jpg

Christian,

I have left accomodation a bit late only tried 2 months ago. No NOTAM issued yet to my knowledge - To fly-in for the day I assueme the airport will be closed between 10am and 3pm.

Is this correct or will there be further limimations?

Frank

Guest DonningtonSmythe

G'day Frank, you're right in that accommodation is pretty tight in the immediate vicinity of the airport but don't forget the caravan park and holiday resort at Lucinda, Forrest Beach Hotel has motel units, Halifax pub, even Cardwell or Balgal etc. Give the friendly volunteers at the Tyto Information Centre a ring (4776 4792) and they will do the legwork for you (not a booking agency but they'll source availability for you). Camping is available for fly-in visitors at the adjacent Pony Club ($10/site/night with basic amenities) or under-wing "swagging" on the airport for those who don't mind "roughing it" (now that we have the option to get the aircraft off the side of the strip).

CASA have the Air Display application and I have to pay the bill today so that they will start to process it - once the approval is in place a NOTAM will be issued (could be fairly close to the event dates depending on how quickly they get through it). You should be able to fly-in up until 1230 (Air Display starts at 1300) and then depart between 1600 and 1730 (Saturday) or after 1600 on Sunday. From a logistical perspective it will be far better to arrive early so that aircraft can be positioned in the parking area before crowds begin to build as there will be some legwork involved with barriers and marshals later in the day.

Guest DonningtonSmythe

Got the quote today for insurance - 12 grand for Air Meet Liability, ground risk and volunteer workers - ouch! :-(

Guest DonningtonSmythe

Well, you can have a win sometimes - insurance reduced to $6500! The Air Display has been signed off and returned by CASA so that's official - we're having an airshow! :-) Walked over the aircraft parking area today and it's looking good but we'll have to keep the water trucks up to it over the weekend. If any fly-in visitors would like to volunteer as aircraft parking marshals that would be a bonus - we're a bit light on in that department at present. Looking forward to the airshow weekend - going to be a busy couple of weeks getting there though! Matt Hall flies into Townsville tomorrow (around 1400 possibly) and his aircraft will be hangared here until he picks it up again on Friday 2nd September .

Guest Maj Millard

Christian, my plan currently is to arrive at Ingham by Lightwing early Saturday. If you want to dig me up a vest, and handheld VHF radio I'd be happy to play parking marshal...............it's a lot easier if you have the radio ......................cheers Ross Millard (Maj)

Guest DonningtonSmythe

G'day Ross, I'd say you've just scored yourself a job! :-) Thank you, much appreciated and will see you Saturday.

Ross

Will this be a discrete frequeny or on 126.7

Just a question - if the area is busy which I expect it to be then a ground freq would be better [unicom].

I accept if nobody knows about it then it would not work - too late to include it in the NOTAM and I accept that many bush/Rec flyers going would not access the NOTAM anyway.

I know I am not suggesting an answer - just asking what is proposed.

My thinking being when separation in the air is paramount then ground parking comes second - I am sure your are quite aware of this - hense my question about what is planned

I realise you have "you've just scored yourself a job" from Christian and probably have no further info.

If anything is decided just post it here and I will pass on to the RAA and GA pilots that I know are intending to go.

I suspect you intend to use 126.7 when it is free from airborne traffic - is this the case?

Cheers

Frank M

Guest Maj Millard

Yes Frank that is what I am thinking at the moment. Easier and more efficient monitoring just one freq. Unlike Old Station this year where they did have a ground freq, Ingham doesn't have a turn-off taxiway, you'll just taxi all the way to the end of the runway and be directed to parking by ground marshallers.

I'm imaging as someone calls 10 Nm inbound (or at latest entering downwind) I would respond with "jab 1234 welcome to Ingham, wind 5-10kts, 06 is the active, remain this freq after landing for parking"..traffic Ingham" After they have landed a quick call asking that they taxi all the way to the end, and follow parking directions. KISS theory....should work if everybody listens...I'll fly up this weekend to have a look at the new set up. I was up there a couple of weeks ago and they had started on the aircraft parking area......................................................................Maj...024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Hi Christian,

Are we able to have sleeping under wings ?? and if so will this area be seperate from the day fly inners??

We should be arriving between 0630//0700 sat all going well :)

If you nead a hand with anything feel free to grab me

cheers

Steve

(ATA Flight School Townsville)

G'day folks, I've just signed up and look forward to talking aviation with you. I'm organising a Wings and Wheels Airshow at Ingham (QLD) for the weekend of 3-4 September, 2011. I'll get it onto the calendar shortly or you can visit my web-site www.inghamwingsandwheels.com.au or Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/pages/Ingham-Australia/Ingham-Wings-Wheels-Airshow-2011/191748063084?ref=sgm .I still haven't learnt to fly - got 3 hours in my log-book around 1986 and ran out of money! - but I have coordinated 8 airshows previously at Donnington Airpark, Woodstock (QLD) 1986-1993 (notice how I ran out of money about the same time I started organising airshows?!). I have an abiding interest in aviation of all sorts but particularly Warbirds (grew up on a diet of Biggles and Dambusters!). Someday before I shuffle off I plan to at least go solo! Regards, Christian Smith.

Hi Christian

I was at the show for Saturday only and thoroughly enjoyed it. Well done.

Cheers

Mike

• 5 weeks later...
Guest DonningtonSmythe

Hi Mike, I was a bit "head-down" during the event and didn't get along the visitor flight-line until late Sunday morning, by which time a lot of the fly-in visitors had already gone (many on Saturday afternoon due to the weather). Feedback about the quality and content of the airshow has been overwhelmingly positive but unfortunately I have personally lost over $100,000 on the event as the public just didn't arrive on the Sunday - mucky weather north and south of Ingham cruelled it. I now can't afford to underwrite an event in Charters Towers next year and so we (volunteers and other participants) are looking at Ingham for 2013 but unless there is substantial cash sponsorship beforehand then it won't happen. There appears to be potential for an ongoing event but it must be viable. Big learning curve for me and not the result I was hoping for (break-even would have been acceptable) but life goes on and hopefully we can make the event happen again.

Guest Maj Millard

Hi there Christian, Everybody I've spoken to since the airshow feels that you did a great job and that the whole event was (for a first one) very well presented. Unfortunatly as you know the weather plays a huge part in getting people to shows like this, and as you know the weather beat us a bit this time.

As shown last year by the turn out at the RAAF base open day, and Thunderbird airshow, the population is in the area now, and they are interested in attending this type of event, especially one so large and well organized and presented.

I know for a fact that most of Ingham was there, and I actually ran into folks who had come from all over the state, which was also the case at the recent Shute Harbour Airshow and open day. People into planes and airshows will travel to these events if they know about them, of that I have no doubt.

I would question the wisdom of having an event on Fathers day, especially in a small country town. Most fathers feel obligated to spend some time with their family on that day. After throughly enjoying the show I flew out around 10am on Sunday, partially because it was fathers day, but primarily because the weather didn't look on the improve, and I needed to back in Townsville for work Monday, so i just couldn't afford to be weathered in.

It is very unfortunate that it came out a loss for you, I also was hoping you would at least 'break even'. I know the Ingham folk won't forget the airshow any time soon, and I feel that there just has to be some financial support there in the future, so don't give up yet.

The aviation scene certainly needs people like you, so lets hope we can all drag up the energy and support to do it again some time in the future. Well done Christian....you and your helpers put on a great event., and you should be proud.....................................................Ross Millard...(Maj)

My comment:

Great show - weather was not kind but still VFR on both Sat and Sun.

I went on Sat and came home only because I left it too late to get a motel [tried 2 months before but was too late]

In my groupe there were 6 people who would have liked to stay for Sat night and Sun but we are not the camping on the ground people.

I know my comment doesn't help you but suitable/avaible accommation does come into the location consideration.

I went to the Mono RAA fly in last year and with no available accommodation I spent the most unpleasent night I have experienced for over 30 years. I posted my commments here and got the expected replies like harden up etc. The bottom line is I will not go to Monto again for a fly in if I have to freeze in a tent.

Christian, I know this reply is of little help but on a smaller scale without the wheels and history events [which were enjoyable] you might have had more aviatiors there for 2 days.

Frank M

I attended for the Saturday only(drove), a good show for sure, how ever the one thing you cant argue with is the weather, so why not shift it to the towers instead of ingham, i know the weather was fine here sat arvo and sun, it would have been nice to be able to fly up but it seems closing the airport for the whole week end so the drags could run on the strip seemed a whole lot more important to the council

Guest DonningtonSmythe

Bones - it wasn't so much the weather in Ingham (blowy but it didn't rain) as the weather either side of Ingham which buggered things - we lost our "day-trippers" from Townsville and other parts - and I would be relying on them just as much in Charters Towers as in Ingham so it's still a huge risk without sponsorship and/or funding. Unfortunately many people look at a cloud outside their house and assume that it is pissing down everywhere (especially where Ingham is concerned!) and it's hard to get through that mindset! :-( As a side issue, the CT Chamber of Commerce proposed a bus trip to the airshow so that members could see what I was proposing to hold in the Towers - the trip was cancelled due to lack of interest ... not a good omen ... not the end of the world either but I was very disappointed to learn of this.

From Frank's perspective, there is more motel accommodation in the immediate area in Charters Towers which may be helpful - I'm not sure though about the comment regarding reduction of car displays in favour of more aviators - did you fly in or drive? If you're talking about fly-in visitors then I'd have to say that having more aviators doesn't pay the bills (given that I did not charge those attending in an aircraft); if you're talking aviation enthusiasts (who may or may not be pilots) who drive in then yes it may be a point in more accommodation being available. Rooms were still available in Lucinda over the weekend and we had a shuttle service for those who needed transport. Having more visiting aircraft on the field always looks good but does nothing for the bottom line - unlessw I adopt Wide Bay's format and charge entry for all those attending! ;-)

Major - we thought that having a "blokey" affair (planes, cars, bikes etc.) would be an ideal way for the family to celebrate Father's Day (take Dad to the airshow!~) - it also tied in with the Prostate Cancer awareness message, but obviously not everyone felt the same way. I've had those who reckoned it was a great idea (and attended) and others like yourself who weren't so sold on the idea and had family commitments at home. Certainly something to consider for future events. Hard to know just how we would have fared if the weather had been better - the Father's Day thing may or may not have still been an issue. One year at Donnington we clashed with Bathurst - but it was a good year because not everyone's into motorsport and we offered an alternative - but Father's Day is a bit more of a universal concept ...

Your point about the Defence Air Dispay and RAAF Open Day - yes the population has increased but those events were on the doorstep and free (and high profile) - I have to convince people to drive 110 or 130 km and pay to get in the gate so the number of willing participants is reduced substantially. I don't want to sound negative - it's just the harsh reality of the situation and you have to downgrade your crowd expectations accordingly. Not getting any support from Defence doesn't help either as you don't have the high-octane attractions to entice the public to attend (but again, would they have turned out to see a Blackhawk, the Roulettes or an F/A-18 in the weather conditions anyway - who knows?). At least I now know that I will be better served to approach the likes of the Roulettes directly rather than going through other channels - really got mucked around there!

There's a lot of soul-searching still to be done and much deliberation before any future plans are made - primarily I urgently need to find a job and a place to rent in the immediate future so that will take first priority. I welcome constructive feedback and I'm happy to discuss all angles of the airshow - I'd like to be able to move forward and get a circuit going but it's not going to be an easy task now (probably never was!).

• 1 month later...
Guest DonningtonSmythe

Hi guys, bit of an update on the airshow situation. My loss on Ingham will be around the $120,000 mark - still waiting for a couple of accounts to come in but all others have been paid so at least the event has a "clean slate" (it's just me that's broke!). Looking now at ways to reduce the cost of staging it and we'll need a considerable amount of sponsorship to give it a chance of being viable. We've had a bit of post-event coverage - Pacific Flyer did a 4-page spread and AOPA Australian Pilot had a one-page report in the latest issue. Hopefully that all bodes well for future interest.

I was not in a position to do anything in Charters Towers next year, but recently I have been approached by the Events Coordinator of the Charters Towers Regional Council with a view to featuring an airshow as a major component of a 3-day Heritage and Cultural Festival next year - over the new Queen's Birthday Weekend (end September/early October). I have a few concerns as that weekend also includes the NRL Grand Final and it's the last weekend before the boarding schools resume. I'm told that parents are likely to come in for the weekend to drop off their students, especially if there is an event on. The footy final is a major concern - but we may be looking more at Saturday and Saturday night as the main activity of the airshow, with a more relaxed approach on the Sunday.

As a long weekend it does offer opportunity to use the Monday for travelling instead of having to rush home. There may also be opportunity to tie in with the Miner's Ball which is due to be held again - they could pick up on the Hangar Dance WWII theme for Saturday night. I'm keen to explore all the options if it means I can do an airshow as originally planned - but even with Council offering in-kind support it will still require significant sponsorship, particularly if we want to get any of the bigger aircraft (DC-3, Catalina, Hudson etc.) which are relevant to the wartime era.

I'd welcome feedback! :-)

I feel your pain Christian. Although I didn't suffer any personal loss at our event last year, we were lucky enough to break even...just!!

The biggest risk to these sort of events is of course the weather...Too Cold, Too Hot, Too Cloudy, Too Wet... people just won't come in numbers (although the tragics out there will come regardless, and it goes without saying that I for one appreciate their involvement, but unfortunately we need decent gate takings to make these events viable) Sponsorships are getting much harder to achieve under the present political climate and consequently businesses need to see a clearly definable advantage before they will support any event. Currently I am getting a bit of pressure to do another one here in Dalby 2012 and before I do commit, I will need to have the event fully funded... As you know there is a lot to pay out before you start.. such as Insurance, Infrastructure, Security, Marketing, Program content (appearance money) etc,, not to mention Local government, CASA and WH & S restraints and considerations and all this comes at a price and then of course you need to make it appealling enough to overcome the punters resistance to part with their hard earned money at the gate at an amount and in numbers sufficient to make it worthwhile. I would stay away from dates which clash with any sporting or religious events (so that rules out the October long weekend) and I wouldn't try to tie it in with other things happening around the place at the time because this also will diminish the gate takings. Feel free to PM/phone me... regards Peter

• Like 1

Guest DonningtonSmythe

Thanks Peter - could you e-mail me your contact details again please? I thought I had your number saved but no joy (obviously that Old-Timers Disease is kicking in!)!

• 1 month later...
Guest DonningtonSmythe

Just a quick note to advise that Ingham Wings and Wheels Airshow won "Community Event of the Year" at the Hinchinbrook Shire Australia Day Awards yesterday - good kudos for all involved, not only the volunteers and local operators but for all those who participated, including fly-in visitors. Thank you for your contribution to the recognition this event has achieved.