Crash near Denman NSW

Thanks Dexter,

I hope I never have to make that decision but if I do I hope I can make the right one!! Just as you did. You walked away from it so it was the right decision, I think that a lot of pilots would have frozen from that hight with only a split second to make a decision.

Good on ya mate and I hope you are back in the air soon.

Monty

I have been watching this thread from the start wondering the cause, anything to do with a skyfox gets my attention. It seems you did very well in the circumstances Dexter, but it would have been even better if you made it to the lucerne paddock, what a shame. I know there could be a few different reasons for the reduction in power but it brings back a few heart stopping moments that we have had with our 912 skyfox.It all started before we owned the aircraft, it was having the same problems as your aircraft with better outcomes. On the last time it happened before we bought the a/c, it ended up on its back. It was determined at the time that the wrong induction hose from the airbox to carby was sucking flat at high throttle settings. This was changed, the a/c repaired and we got the skyfox. The funny thing was it still had the symtoms and it was put down to carby ice. As time went on, if the engine was warmed past the point that was normal for take off...no probs.So we then started to look at the lifters. The engine was pulled out, new rings and lifters and no more problems for 900 hours. There is another 912 a/c here that would start when cold then run very rough.Once again ice was suspected. The owner changed the oil from GPS to VSX4 and no more trouble, we think also a crook lifter that has responded to a different oil.

Dexter, its sounds if you did a great job to walk away and no doubt you are wondering about the cause. This is my little story that could very well have been like yours or worse. Something to think about. J.C.

Not sure if it is any help Dex but I know of a couple of Gazelles that ended up in a paddock due to I believe a circlip in the carby breaking or something like that - I know they lost enough power to not sustain level flight.

If anyone wishes to discuss this circlip issue then please create a new thread about it - thanks

Guest Maj Millard

Without a doubt the worse possible time to lose power in any aircraft. the fact that the two crew recieved only minor injuries, tells me the pilot did enough things correctly, to assure a safe outcome. Screw the aircraft, they can be easily replaced. So many of these power-loss-on-takeoff accidents end with disarster. We can all learn much from this successfull outcome, and the willingness of the pilot to share the details with fellow aviators should be applauded...................................................................Maj..024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Results

Dexter, I have been flying for around 50 years. Your summary of what happened is great. You are fortunate to have had the instructional input that you have and you have acknowledged that. To me it shows that you must do whatever you can to get yourself fully trained to cope with the unexpected.This worked well for you. A lesson for all who have read this. Nev

Thanks very much for the report Dexter. And I agree with the others, you did all you could and it was the right choice for the right out come - Getting you and your pax safely on the ground in the best way you could.

Thanks again, and hope you recover quickly.

Hello Dexter

You don't know me , but as with all forum members I do feel a bond with yourself as a fellow aviator.

Whilst reading this thread I tried to put myself in your position , hoping to never be in it in reality

The words of my CFI were ringing in my ears " Make a plan and fly the plan " in all emergency circumstances !

You did it , and preserved the life of not only yourself but also your Pax ,

Well done !!107_score_010.gif.2fa64cd6c3a0f3d769ce8a3c21d3ff90.gif

Wow! Just goes to show that you shouldn't plough your land! 031_loopy.gif.e6c12871a67563904dadc7a0d20945bf.gif

Seriously, just like Bacchus said, your report has me thinking about how I'd handle the same situation and whether I'm prepared for it *every* time I take off. Sobering stuff. Thank you.

Guest watto

You both alive mate so you did the right thing without question, not even worth second guessing yourself as you should be proud that your training and instincts kicked in and in the pinch you made rational life saving decisions.

Great stuff

You both alive mate so you did the right thing without question, not even worth second guessing yourself as you should be proud that your training and instincts kicked in and in the pinch you made rational life saving decisions.Great stuff

Without a doubt!

Well done.

Rgds Planey

Guest Elk McPherson

Well Done Dexter

...I only heard about this last (Weds) night - Really pleased you're OK.

Good job that man 107_score_010.gif.2fa64cd6c3a0f3d769ce8a3c21d3ff90.gif

Pity about the Guzzle though 049_sad.gif.af5e5c0993af131d9c5bfe880fbbc2a0.gif

Congratulations and comiserations from all.

Guest Escadrille

Hi Dexter ,Best news is you and your passenger are fine albeit tough about the Gazelle, but it can be rebuilt or replaced.I have had a couple of engine issues myself and I want to congratulate on your handling of the situation. No one really understand how you feel afterward...Its amazing how time slows down in those situations isn' it!

Ultralight training and flying really can help you be a better aviator, don't you think? May you have many more safe hours in the air!

Cheers,

Andy

• 2 weeks later...

Gday Destiny, We have just recently had a major prob with our Gazelle. The fuel tank sealant has started to breakdown and was found in the fuel sample.

We had just flown to NATFLY and back to Katoomba and was about a week later, to do some local flying when found.

The tanks have since been removed and must be De-sealed and Re-sealed, along with the undercarrige suspension units.(not related)

A fairly expensive operation! Considering a brand new donk was only put in last October.

An interesting point also being that Avgas has been predominately used apart from the trip to NATFLY.

The return trip was with Avgas.

I worry about Ethanol in PULP.Even though it shouldnt have any.

We are now using the newer style fuel sampler and checking for Ethanol.

Glad your ok..

Could you let me know if your ship is to be scrapped. However...I,ve seen worse repaired.

Cheers mate

Hey Dex, mate its real sad to see your baby looking so poorly after having spotted it in the RAA mag, I presumed it was you. We flew in there on the Sat, didnt spot you there however one of our guys did say they saw a yellow Gazelle there on Friday?

Just good to know both of are ok.Hope it hasnt scared your Pax off sport flying.

Thx for the reply, Cheers

Repair and comment on avgas.

The plane looks as though it could be repaired. The question is cost. Check that out fully before you commit yourself.

Comment on avgas with 912. Rotax do not recommend it and there has been a theory around, which I think has some substance. The liquid cooled heads do not get hot enough for the normal lead formulation to work as it is meant to. The lead builds up on the valve seats and if it becomes detached unevenly compression suffers. This has been observed and the compression has been known to improve when the 100LL was discontinued. You could not rule out damage to the valves and seats during the process however. Nev

• 2 weeks later...

Material causing Valve to Unseat.

There have been instances of lead deposits getting on valve seats of the Rotax. I have written of this several times. The reason suggested that 100LL is not recommended in the Rotax is that the heads, being water cooled do not get hot enough to allow the lead formulations in the avgas to do their job normally, and they can build up on the valve seats/valves causing what you have experienced. They are reputed to reseat after running on mogas, after a while, but there may be some damage to the seats in the meantime. I am a bit surprised that your engine lost so much power. Have the offending material analysed. It may be a bit of carbon cemented in place by the lead as the lead should be fluid at the temp the valve runs at. (Like flux when you are braising).Nev