page numbers in ERSA

Guest GordonM

On a slightly lighter side of the Governing bodies forum.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

I would like to see real/normal page numbers added to our ERSA, you know, the type that start on page one and increase incrementally until the very back page<o:p></o:p>

At the moment we do have page numbers however they start with 'Content 1. then AD index 1 then CHG 1, AVFAX 1 and so on. There are a lot of page 1's in the ERSA and the very last page in this reasonably thick publication is page 5!<o:p></o:p>

your thoughts?<o:p></o:p>

Take care Gordon, you are starting to sound logical and are making good sense. Remember this is the Government you are talking about and they ain't happy untill you ain't happy. 8)

Guest davidh10

So maybe ERSA is a bunch of publications, bound together...

Just a radical thought... If they incremented the page numbers by 10 for each page, it would make it easier to slip in new pages...just keep halving the difference for the new page number ;-)

On a slightly lighter side of the Governing bodies forum.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>I would like to see real/normal page numbers added to our ERSA, you know, the type that start on page one and increase incrementally until the very back page<o:p></o:p>

At the moment we do have page numbers however they start with 'Content 1. then AD index 1 then CHG 1, AVFAX 1 and so on. There are a lot of page 1's in the ERSA and the very last page in this reasonably thick publication is page 5!<o:p></o:p>

your thoughts?<o:p></o:p>

G'day Gordon,

Thanks for the flyin at White Gum Farm last weekend, we had a great time but had to leave shortly after the rocket was sent on its way by the towel head.

I thought the rocket might have taken out a certain trike there for a while:laugh:

I've often thought it a pain reading ERSA and can't quite fathom why the page identification follows the current format. I like straightforward, logical numbering.

Cheers,

Pud

• 4 weeks later...
Guest snowman

Page numbers for ERSA

Once it was a series of separate subjects in a loose leaf format. Now it is a document that just gets bigger and heavier - 1kg. A significant item to carry in recreational aircraft when so much of it does not refer to our operations.

Guest GordonM

Hi Snowman,

You are right (988gms to be precise).

I was told by the nice people at Air services Australia that "international and domestic pilots would recognise the sections". I realize that us recreational pilots are just plebs that infiltrate the pristine sky that should only be occupied by the chosen few, the ones that possess that certain something that can single handed interpret the ERSA in all of its glory because ---that’s the way it is done !!

Guest snowman

As recreational pilots we would love to have some of the data in ERSA in a more useable form (for us). Prohibited, Restricted and Danger areas should be as maps and not geographic points that are hard to relate to the maps we use. I would guess that when ERSA originally came out it was a loose leaf folder of about 100 grammes and almost entirely relevant to visual operations. CASA have turned it into info for Instrument operations which we are not allowed to use and have burdened us with an overload which does not make it safer for us.

Guest davidh10
As recreational pilots we would love to have some of the data in ERSA in a more useable form (for us).

Agreed. Preferably in a form of data that could be repurposed (for private individual use).

Prohibited, Restricted and Danger areas should be as maps and not geographic points that are hard to relate to the maps we use....

Actually these are on maps. VNC and where the area is not covered by VNC, they are on ERC-L and vice versa.

Although as recreational aviators we don't directly use IFR information, weather reports use, in addition to aerodromes, VFR and IFR waypoints as reference points for troughs and other phenomena that is of interest. There's a subset that seem to be in common use and I've found it useful to plot them on Google Earth to assist me to visualise where the fronts and troughs are, and are moving through. The USA seems to be way ahead here, in that they have a service that provides weather over the radio to capable GPS units (like the Garmin Aera series), albeit a subscription service. My understanding is that it is used by GA as well as recreational flyers.