DescriptionThe Air Tractor AT-802 is an agricultural aircraft that may also be adapted into fire-fighting or armed versions.
It first flew in the United States in October 1990 and is manufactured by Air Tractor Inc. The AT-802 carries a chemical hopper between the engine firewall and the cockpit. In the U.S., it is considered a Type III SEAT, or Single Engine Air Tanker.
In its standard configuration, the aircraft utilizes conventional landing gear (two main wheels and a tail wheel). However, a number of aircraft have been converted to the Fire Boss aerial firefighting configuration, which utilizes Wipaire 10000 amphibious floats, so that it can land on a traditional runway or on water. The Fire Boss can scoop water from a lake or river for use on a fire. In addition to the 820 US gallons (3,100 L) standard fuselage-mounted retardant tank, the Fire Boss can have optional 35 US gallons (130 L) foam tanks in the floats. Operations with floats installed have been shown to produce a shorter and narrower retardant drop pattern than wheeled AT-802s.
In response to the United States Air Force's LAAR program and the growing requirement for light counter-insurgency aircraft, Air Tractor developed an armed model, the AT-802U, in 2008, with engine and cockpit armor, a bulletproof windscreen, self-sealing fuel tanks, and structural reinforcements for the carriage of 9,000 pounds (4,100 kg) of payload. A reinforced wing spar was certified for 12,000 hours of flight time, and the AT-802U was displayed in 2009 at the Paris Air Show.
The AT-802 has also been used in counter-drug operations in the USSOUTHCOM AOR by the U.S. Department of State as a delivery vehicle for herbicides and defoliants over narcotics production facilities.
- two seat (tandem) cockpit
- single-seat cockpit
- two seat (tandem) armored military version, modified with sensors and reinforced for weapons carriage
AT-802F or AT-802AF
- An aerial firefighting model 802 equipped with the Air Tractor Computerized Firegate designed/developed/serviced
by Trotter Controls Inc.
- Fire Boss - AT-802F
- equipped with Wipaire amphibious floats for operations from land or water
- An ISR and light-attack aircraft based on AT-802U, which developed by L3 Platform Integration collaboration with Air Tractor.L3 rebranded it as OA-8 Longsword for Asia-Pacific region.
Specifications below are for the AT-802 model.
- Crew: Two. Capacity: 820 US gal (683 imp gal; 3,104 L)
- 35 ft 11 in (10.95 m)
- 59 ft 3 in (18.06 m)
- 12 ft 9 in (3.89 m)
- Wing Area:
- 401.0 sq ft (37.25 sq m)
- Empty Weight:
- 6,505 lb (2,951 kg)
- 16,000 lb (7,257 kg)
- 1 × Pratt & Whitney PT6A-67AG turboprop, 1,350 shp (1,010 kW)
- Cruise Speed:
- 221 mph (356 km/h, 192 kn) at 8,000 ft (2,440 m)
- Stall Speed:
- 91 mph (146 km/h, 79 kn) (power off, flaps down)
- 800 mi (1,300 km, 700 nmi)
- Rate of Climb:
- 850 ft/min (4.3 m/s)
- Service Ceiling:
- 13,000 ft (4,000 m)