FAA, A historical perspective

Guest ozzie

Guest Maj Millard

Ozzie my good friend, I worked under the FAA system for several years, and gained my A&P mechanics' license, and my US PPL under it. It is a system designed to succeed, and a system that has been constantly refined since the 20s'.

As an example, I just renewed both the above mentioned licenses with the FAA by post. I haven't been in the country since 95. Total cost to do so ??.....US$4.00 per license, and they sent them back to me in Australia their cost !. Are we getting ripped here or what ??..................................................................................................Maj..024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Guest ozzie

have you upgraded your 'paper license' which will become null and void shortly?

this would have to be one of the biggest changes in FAA admin. Includes repairman and riggers.

Guest Maj Millard

Yes that's exactly what I did, the new plastic ones look really neat too. Kevin Bow was at Shute recently in a Bucaneer VH-ASS. We had it in the hangar for a couple of days as it had a mag problem, and an oil leak. I told him I saw you recently, and he asked where you were now...said to say Hi....I would have liked a chance to fly with you at Elderslie, but it didn't happen. It was a blast taking Darry for a run though. Next time ok.........................................................................Maj..024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

have you upgraded your 'paper license' which will become null and void shortly?

Folks,

This could be misinterpreted ---- after the cutoff date, you still have whatever license you hold, but cannot exercise it until you receive the new credit card license.

If you have an FAA license issued against a foreign license, you will have to attend an FAA FSDO to complete the process for the new form license.

Regards,

Bill Hamilton

Folks,

It's the 50th Anniversary tomb from the FAA, which only started in 1958, under the first Administrator, the justly infamous (General) Elwood R. (Pete) Quesada --- so the title is a bit of a misnomer.

He is the origin of the "age 60" rule, introduced as a result of an industrial battle between American Airlines and it's pilots, which AA lost --- so, Hey!! Presto!!, a new retirement rule and AA got rid of all the pilots they wanted out ------ and absolutely nothing to do with medical and safety standards.

You have to give Australia one thing, we were well ahead of the US in development of "air law", passing our first laws to restrict aviation years before the US, and why doesn't that surprise me.

The best airshow I ever went to in Australia, was not to celebrate a success ( as in the Battle of Britain Airshow, and the many airshows in US celebrating a victory) but ------ Australia "celebrated" ( should that be commiserated) the FIRST ANO -----

I suppose that was a victory celebration for the bureaucrats.

Regards,