Connecting a video camera to the intercom

I was wondering how to connect a video/action camera to the intercom so as to hear all transmissions when recording the video. What extras would I need and how is it all set up? Looking to buy a camera this week and I just want to make sure I get one that is compatible. Thank you in advance !

You will want a camera that has a mic input at least. Some don't or have a propriety connection so that you can only use their dedicated mic's. The down side is that, with most cameras that have the mic input, it cuts out all the other sounds (engine etc!) What I use is a digital voice recorder connected to the intercom and then sync it all up on the computer later. (sounds more complicated than it is). However, regardless of how you go about it, you will also need an adapter or lead that has a 1/4" (6.5mm) plug on one end and a 1/8" (3.5mm) plug on the other. (The 1/4" to the comms, the 1/8" to the camera/recorder)

This video may give you an idea of what I'm talking about. (BTW, It's not me)

Thanks guys, just ordered my Xcom cable. will check it out shortly. I could probably use my iphone to record transmissions and then edit it in final cut afterwards, never thought about that but thanks all the same, hope to have some videos up soon

To make things really realy easy and cheap;

1. 1x set spare headset

2. 1x lapel clip mic with 3.5mm plug

3. 20cm gaffer tape.

• Place lapel mic inside ear cup of spare headset.

• Gaffer tape both earcups together

• mount camera as desired

• Plug mic into aux socket on camera (3.5mm plug)

• plug headset into spare intercom sockets.

Done.

Its easy, cheap and above all, it works.

Ben

Hi Ben,

I don't suppose you have any videos on Youtube? I seem to remember watching one on Circuit practice at Shepparton in a Tecnam...

-Andrew

Done using the above technique.

If I decided to recut it now, the only change I would make is in post production to reduce the bass and rumble.

Vision wise, it was shot 16:9 widescreen, but YT was having "issues" at the time with widescreen stock.

HTH

Ben

Guest basscheffers

Don't even need a spare headset for the lapel-mic method. Just tape it inside your own.