Nieuport 11 project for sale

Guest Escadrille

Guest Escadrille

Hi All,

I have a Graeme Lee plans built N11 project for sale. Both wing frames are built, elevator and rudder , both fuselage sides are built and the fuselage is on the table being joined.

I could list all that I have but suffice to say I have pretty well everything you need including the engine !

I have receipts to 15K...

If you are interested in hearing more about this project or want to buy her/it Please PM me here,

Andy

• 2 years later...

Hi Andy . . . I live in Brisbane.

I was just messaging Peter, who bought your Nieuport, as to the source of tubing that was used. I too began building a Graham Lee nieuport aboout 15 years ago and was using 6106-T83 tubing which Graham Lee approved. Did you buy the aircraft as a kit or construct it from local materials? 6061-T6 is so hard to get & so expensive in Aus. I'm about to continue the build but am surprised that 6061-T6 is still pretty scarce. if you purchased the materials locally could you let me know from whom??

Thanks . . . Gene.

Thanks for the reply Andy . . . working off a Graham Lee Nieuport Builders Spreadsheet I worked out that it's going to cost about $1300.00 for the 12mm tubing in the aircraft at around $3.50 per foot, then freight on top of that.

Having built most of the aircaft before selling it, do you think it really needs 6061-T6 for wing ribs? I would have thought because of the number of ribs & the simple function they perform, a lower grade could be used. I can get 6060-T6 locally in Brissie at less than $10.00 per 5.5 metre length. It's about 70% the strength of 6061-T6. I noticed Graham suggests using 3/8" 6061-T6 on the rudder & rear fuselage cross bracing instead of 1/2" for the ultralight category.

What are your thoughts???

Guest Escadrille

Gene . Really what you are requesting is engineering advice and frankly I can't give you that. However my gut feeling is this. As the aerofoil shape is only defined by the (carefully) bent tubing AND the performance of the aircraft depends on the accuracy of that aerofoil shape I would us the 60601 tubing. It is stronger and combined with the temper rating ( T6) therefore "harder" and it will retain the aerofoil shape more reliably...

Try the Nieuport Yahoo chat group there are a few engineers on that group who may be able to give you their opinion. Ultimately of course the decision is yours...