NSW weather Rain/Winds 09 Aug - 12th aug

The forecast has some nasty weather settling in for a few days. Already its started around Cobar area, lightning showing up on tracker. Should be some good falls upto 50 mm in some parts of NSW.

Looks like will ground many of us for flying for a few days. At least the farmers will enjoy the well needed drenching.

We have to talk about something when we are not flying! 051_crying.gif.fe5d15edcc60afab3cc76b2638e7acf3.gif

Tuesday 10 August:

Rain will develop around dawn and peak in intensity around lunchtime. Freezing levels will initially lie around 2100m, leading to snow above 1800m. The snow level should lower to 1400m by midnight, but because most of the rain will occur earlier in the day, we have our doubts about the quality of any snow on Tuesday.

Wednesday 11 August:

On Wednesday the moist, frozen tail of that low will whip around and sting the resorts with some strong westerlies and decent snowfalls. Accumulations between Wednesday morning and Thursday afternoon are predicted to be about 10 to 15 centimetres, but some lucky parts could easily get double that. Watch out for some wind gusts over 60km/h in the evening.

Thursday 12 August:

South-westerlies gusting to 70km/h and snow showers.

we have had so much rain in Rowville that the guys got the plane bogged in our backyard, & they were only pushing it into the hanger LOL. Thought cutting the lawn would help dry the ground out yesterday (nice sunny day) today its raining again. Luck has it though we are on the outer edge of the heavier rain.

Made it from West Wyalong to Dubbo via Parkes for a enforced break... First headed west, then north, then east, then south and ended up with a ave GS of about 50 knots. I'm sure I was doing at least 70kns GS. lol

Got a days work in Dubbo so at least the pubs paid for. I would not recommend flying in this sort of weather. Going to do a little IFR training 'just in case' at a GA school.

Next leg is to Gunnadah so who knows?

The weather over last 2 days sure has shown its ugly head! 19 knot winds today, when i was supposed to fly.. what a joke, our wind sock across road from work (large tree) told the story quickly. We were not going anywhere today. NO WAY.. The rain falls we have had in Bathurst have also now closed a low level bridge in Bathurst, it crosses the Macquarie River, river should go over bridge tonight. Pics to follow tomorrow, SES were there around 5pm today. Its a major road apart from highway to other suburbs of Bathurst. Who knows how long it might be prior to it opening again.

Snow falls in Oberon were approx 10 cm thick in areas, closing road to Jenolan Caves. Surprising no snow fell in Oberon itself.

Shall see what tonight shall bring. Freezing and cold here again.

Dave

Sitting in Gunnadah now.. Had to go out to YNRM and then headed north around the hills and tracked up the Valley to Gunnadah. Lots of Scud so never really got above 1900' and only when I got back out onto the plains. Lots of showers and at one point was suspect on mushy snow. Carb heat got used and abused. What does it mean when you pull the carby heat out and you gain 100rpm? lol

Had a ground speed at one point of over 140kn. Not bad for a J-170.

Was fairly rough in parts..

PS A Jab 160 can land with a 20kn + xwind. Had the displeasure for my initial P-Cert flying test. A 170 would not have a chance in 16kn xwind.