Fiti prop

GDL

I have a chance to buy a kit with a 2-blade Fiti prop. The prop (and kit) date from ~2002 and it feels like a club (weight, dimensions) compared to a new 3-blade Kool prop I just received for my Rans.

I asked my supplier for the Kool prop if he knew anything about the Fiti prop but he said he didn't. Does anyone have an opinion on the prop? The prop will go on a Rotax 912S if I buy the kit.

Hi Dexter. I meant to ask you about the prop. We had originally been told there was a 2 and 3-blade but turns out only 2 blades. I was amazed at how heavy it was compared to the Kool prop. I wouldn't think that was a good thing for the 912.

I really noticed the difference because I received my new Kool prop on Wednesday, and on Thursday I was hefting the Fiti. I would say the 2-blade Fiti is more like an old Warp Drive - solid, strong, but heavy. The Kool is lightweight. Do you find the weight has any impact on starting or shutting down the 912?

I really noticed that my old Warp Drive 2-blade prop (similar in weight to the Fiti) seemed to make starting & stopping my 912 80 hp Rans harder. By harder I mean the plane shakes a lot more. The Kiev prop I had before (destroyed by a student) was much smoother. I am expecting similar results with the Kool. Interesting. Perhaps I will use the Fiti for the time being. Thanks for the info.

Hi Alan. I don't think the blade was out of balance but now I am going to have to check. I have just found that the older heavier props tends to make more violent the shaking when the engine starts. The Kiev prop I had before the Warp drive was much smoother. Have you seen any greater tendency to shake with these props? That is why I questioned the Fiti. It is heavy. Much heavier than my new 3-blade Kool prop.