Back in the saddle - What should I revise.

Hi All,

Going back up after more than a year grounded. Any thoughts on what I should review before going? I thought of:

- required radio calls

- emergency landing procedures

- aircraft key stats

Anything else?

Cheers,

Shags

Guest Howard Hughes

To emergency landing procedures, I would add engine failure/restart, engine fire, electrical fire procedures.

Also good to review the fuel system, if something is going to make the noise stop, this is probably it!:thumb_up:

Quick question. Looking at teh 166-1 guidline, say you want to join on crosswind, you make your own crosswind, between mid downwind and the departure end of the runway? I always joined crosswind at about the place you ordinarily would be at crosswind.

Guest davidh10
*Groan* Thats a lot of reading.

Yep. But it is mostly common sense, so shouldn't be hard to digest.

Quick question. Looking at teh 166-1 guidline, say you want to join on crosswind, you make your own crosswind, between mid downwind and the departure end of the runway? I always joined crosswind at about the place you ordinarily would be at crosswind.

If you join crosswind at the downwind end of the runway, or further out where you would normally join downwind there's a bigger possibility of being in conflict with an aircraft that is taking off. Thus the "recommended" cross-wind join closer to mid field is safer if there is potentially conflicting traffic. It does not prohibit joining cross-wind as you describe, but be aware of the possible conflict.

I was taught to make a call "...joining mid-field crosswind..." or "...joining crosswind..." to distinguish the join position, but that was before the changes... I continue to make the same calls and I mostly join cross-wind at or about the mid-field location.

*Caveat: I'm not an instructor.

Thanks David. I reviewed my notes and it would appear I used to come in over the threshold not on actual crosswind so it wasn't as far different as I thought. Looking forward to the flight now.

Cheers,

Shags

Shags midfield crosswind is midfield. If you fly crosswind over the threshold that isn't midfield or in the normal position, and you might run into a higher performance aircraft taking off, or an aircraft going around. Use commonsense and situational awareness to assess the situation on the day.

Note that under the June 2010 changes you can also join on base or a shorter final.

I like the crosswind join. Gives me time to setup the landing in familiar terms (ie. full circuit). And I will be joining slightly short of the threshold now as per the diagram in the changes above. That's a great doc btw, explains a lot.

Have you thought about doing an hour dual with an instructor? might throw some forced landings at you, perhaps some good circuit tips to refresh things? When I've not flown for a while my crosswind landings are always a bit rusty. Have fun!

Nev

No way I was going up solo Nev, not after two years (checked my logbook). BTW, flight went fine, needed a bit of practice on circuits but in the end signed off BFR so all good