Traveling OZ got my GFPT and want to fly at some airstrips

Jayz

Ok as I have only flown at warnervale and one nav to scone, how do I go about flying at other air strips eg will be in margret river in 1 week and want to go for a fly. Is it easy to hire a plane at most places and what are the step one should take with little experience out side Warnervale. Love to here what peoples first flights were and how u went away from your local strip thanks jay......

Hi Jay,

As Matt said, they'll want to give you a check flight first, might be easier on you if the hire ship is similar to the one you're used to, that way you can concentrate on the experience of landing on a foreign field, - it's a great feeling! My first fully solo nav was Forbes, West Wyalong (touch 'n' go on their gravel strip), Cowra (stopped and was offered a cuppa by the friendly folks at the Flying club), and back to Forbes, a great way to spend a day!

My first flight from someone else's field in an unfamiliar aircraft type was at Swan Hill at Easter time whilst on holidays. The instructor was a real gentleman on the check-flight, and after an hour he let me go on my own. I think I did 2 touch 'n' goes and then came in for a full stop, I was exhausted! I'm used to a Foxbat and the Tecnam P92 had very different flight characteristics, but all-in-all it was an absolute buzz and would recommend it to anyone.

Let us know how you go at Margret River!

PF

• 2 weeks later...