Intro and question!

Guest j.l.c

Hi all, this is my maiden post so I thought I would say g'day and tell you all a little bit about myself.

Like probably everyone on this forum I have loved aviation since a young age. When I was younger I did air force cadets and out of school was offered a position in the Army as a GSO Pilot which I accepted. After a while due to some unforseen circumstances with my family I decided to leave the army and return home and finish my degree. Between flying done prior to the army, during my selection process and whilst I was in the army I managed to put together about 4 hours of gliding, 20 hours fixed wing and about 6 hours in rotary wings so not a whole lot and until yesterday, haven't flown for 2 years.

So now I have finished my degree, have been working full time (to save my money) and still have this passion for flying, so I have decided to pursue a career as a commercial pilot along with the other thousands of ambitious pilots. I am Hoping to get through my ATPL in the next 18 months and spend a year or so getting my hours up before applying for a position with an airline, by which time I will be 26. I was just after some advice on 2 questions.

1) Is 26 starting to get too old to pursue a career as a commercial pilot?

2) I have 4 traffic infringements over the past 8 years one of which resulted in a 3 months suspension (speeding). I have not been before a court or convicted or anything just minor infringments. How much of an effect will this have on my chances?

Hope the below will help you a little.

1) Is 26 starting to get too old to pursue a career as a commercial pilot?

Not at all, I know some people who never started flying untill 30 and now there flying for the airlines.

2) I have 4 traffic infringements over the past 8 years one of which resulted in a 3 months suspension (speeding). I have not been before a court or convicted or anything just minor infringments. How much of an effect will this have on my chances?

Not that much, as they only look at convictions and stuff, I don't think you will have much to worry about if it is only speeding fines.

Guest Darren Masters

G'day mate and welcome to the forums 001_smile.gif.2cb759f06c4678ed4757932a99c02fa0.gif To answer your questions.

1) Not too old, no. My partner was a f/o for Air Fiji in Fiji and she flew there for 3 years and last year returned home here to NZ. She is finishing her last ATPL exam here and may do the A320 upgrade to come fly with us at Jetstar so no, I don't think you are too old at all. Speaking to some of the pilots at work some of them did not start flying until they were in their mid thirties. Looking at her ATPL exams though you will need alot of patience. It is not an easy road.

2) I think that traffic convictions are totally irrelivant. They did not affect me as cabin crew and I would assume it would be the same for pilots.

Hope this helps. Again, welcome to the forums 001_smile.gif.2cb759f06c4678ed4757932a99c02fa0.gif

Guest Darren Masters
Hmmm am I missing something Mr Masters??? :tongue::biggrin:You little stud muffin you :rolleyes:

Well you spoke to her yesterday Robbo 001_smile.gif.2cb759f06c4678ed4757932a99c02fa0.gif