New old non-pilot

Guest veloman

Guest veloman

Greetings all.

Started to learn in the early 50s at Dirranbandi (Qld), only had about 5 hours (never soloed), had to give it up due to financial considerations (recently married!) and earning too few pounds a week including overtime . . . (sob, sob!)

Dirran was a sort of out-club of Darling Downs and training was sposmatic due to floods, (dirt runway) so recency suffered. Still have my Gosport helmet and Mk v(?) goggles and old logbook! My instructor said I had "good hands", so I must have been on the right track.

Days of Tigers and Austers, straining petrol through chamois, anti-spin strakes, cheese-cutters, leading edge slats, no brakes or radio, - ex-RAAF instructors complete with impressive moustaches and all the jargon!

Still run outside on the sound of a lighty flying over, especially if it sounds like a Tiger!

Best regards

Veloman :rolleyes:

You're ten years in front of me. Still goggles and helmets, no radio or brakes when I started.

Now they were the days... no new age bulldust like Human resources, ASIC cards, golden bars on your shoulders... YOU learned to FLY an aeroplane properly.

Maybe you should continue where you left off.

Guest Chainsaw

Gday Veloman,

Welcome to TAA. Oh I can see you and Sixties getting on just fine. Two peas in a pod :)

Guest veloman

Thanks, fellers.

I've often thought of re-starting, but I don't think my ears would pass the test - too many years of diesel and gas-turbine power stations (of course, my Velocettes couldn't have anything to do with it . . . )

Grandkids shouted me a ride in a Tiger a couple of years ago. When the pilot asked me if I'd like to try to steer it a bit, I mentioned that I'd once started to learn. "When was that?" "1953". "Blimey, I wasn't even born then!" Cheeky bugger . . .

Veloman

• 2 weeks later...
Guest veloman

Thank you all for the welcome.

It looks as if there are plenty of interesting places to visit here, once I learn how to navigate around.

Veloman:smile: