Virgin does regional?

Guest Chainsaw

Guest Chainsaw

I know that this has been rumored for a bit, but given the post about a Virgin / Bombardier purchase link, what does everybody think about Virgin Blue taking to the regional skies?

Rex would surely be concerned, and I suppose Qantas Link.

Your thoughts?

Guest Cat on a PC©

A good thing, I say. Right now services from places like Albury/Wodonga a pretty scant and expensive. If they were more affordable, I think more people will use it; even if only for a day's shopping in Sydney or Melbourne.

Bring it on! I would love to see some competition with QantasLink on some of their routes. Might also mean virgin can open up some smaller aircraft onto routes such as CBR-SYD, CBR-MEL, and CBR-BNE during the day to compete with the dash8's.

I honestly do not see this happening. Virgin is set up like Southwest Airlines in the US. Single fleet type, and profitable routes instead of market share. If you add another aircraft type to the fleet it tends to drive your CASM (Cost per Available Seat Mile... most likely called something different here) upwards. This is particularly true with smaller jets.

That being said..... Virgin Blue is looking a lot more like JetBlue. IFE, rumored different aircraft types. JetBlue went with the EMB 190 for it's 80-100 seat market (I personally prefer this over the CRJ900). The verdict is still out in regards to JetBlue's decision.

From a customer point of view I can see where this would be a great idea, and would add compitition to these overpriced routes. From a business point of view, it makes little sense. Virgin would eventually turn into it greatest enemy.... Qantas.

Guest WillMikoyan

Yeah... I can't see it happening either.

Australian regional routes tend to be too thin to operate more than two airlines at a time. Even Australia's domestic network isn't able to hold more than 3 major airlines (i.e Virgin Blue, Ansett and qantas a few years ago) and more recently with OzJet, at any one time. (Jetstar dosen't count because it is fully owned by Qantas and replaced qantas flights on some routes.)

Even though I prefer the A320, I?m looking to flying with Virgin Blue in the near future. They appear to be heading in the right direction, no pun intended.

TJT

• 1 month later...
Guest Steve R

Looks like the Jungle jets will hit the skies early next year. Cbr -Syd must be a 'given' - what other routes can we expect or will it just be a schedule increase on existing routes?

The carrier said at list prices the order was worth about $950m, and includes firm commitments for 11 Embraer 190 and 3 Embraer 170 aircraft, with options for six more.

Awesome, this is really good news.

It would be the perfect aircraft to compete against Qantas link on routes out of Brisbane up the coast, and thinner routes where a 737-700 is overkill? TJT

To add to that, I hope they compete head to head with the Q400 and make Qantas regret ever buying them.

TJT