Planning a Long Flight

TAA Steve

Hi everyone,

I am in very very early, as in just thinking about, planning a flight from Brisbane to Alice Springs and Uluru, possibly not until Spring 2008.

As a fairly green PPL (CPL by the time I get around to this flight in all probability), I have yet to do a flight of this magnitude and so I'm looking for people's ideas and experiences for routes, times of the year to depart, and any other hints that may be worthwhile.

Cheers all

Steve

Steve. From an old codger who's done some!

A long trip is made up of a series of shorter flights, carefully planned. Even in remote Oz there is plenty to look at Nav wise... and studying the charts, or going over yr proposed route on Google Earth even ! will give you an idea of the terrain you'll be dealing with,for pilotage/visual nav. The old principles of clock and compass have always worked.. and still do, much to some folks amazement.... but map reading is most important, too, ..something much neglected in this age of GPS. Perspex is an excellent navigation aid... you look out thru it !...and so you shall find your way. Its simple really.

The Rock is a fabulous thing to see, esp from the air. Go for it !..and enjoy the Oz landscape along the way.

Don't let the GPS make you decide to go in a straight line from A to B. Keep close to the roads!

If you have an engine failure, roads are a good place to land.

That's where the police will come along to find you if someone else passing by doesn't stop first.

You won't be too happy if you land up inverted, injured, stuck in a gulley out of sight of the road because you couldn't quite glide to a road.

Like Student pilot said winter... I have done a number of trips out to those areas and chose August/September.

Not TOO cold, flies aren't too bad and the density altitude is good.

I concur, re going in the cooler months: you can stay lower, its smoother as opposed to summer when the thermals can go to 15K... and get very rough. Most uncomfortable lower down, and hot ,and dehydration is a problem if you dont keep yr fluids up.

An aircraft is a device to take you in a straight line to yr destination, why waste engine time and fuel needlessly...and scarce $$ too.

With careful map reading... and GPS for back up... not a problem. If things go quiet, you know where you are on the map.!.. and the GPS will confirm that. And with comms you can tell folk where you're at.

And you have the latest frequency EPIRB with you of course... and plenty of water, naturally. And a tucker box and comprehensive first aid kit.

Safe travelling. Apteryx