Qantas recent new rules on baggage waights. (HELP NEEDED)

Guest jessi

Guest jessi

Hey again.

Recently some of you would have heard on the radio and tv news that qantas recently just only no less then a month ago that qantas wants all luggage and bags no less then 7kg.... And most travelers thinks its rediculours when theres been never a problem more then 7kilos all these years... Domestic and international travelers.

I need your help with this. and apologies if my english isnt perfect but i do my best :)

I brought a new luggage bag that has wheels underneith :) and its a qantas brand bag which of course was on special at the time i brought it this year.

the information of my luggage or bag how ever it may be call says as follow

Description: 71cm trollycase, External size: 71 x 48.5 x 30 +7cm. Capacity litres: 103 / 127L. Waights: 5.6KG

Its one of these new trendy luggage that has wheels underneith and has this long neck to hold it when walking around with it (thought these types where old luggage styles) :-)

Okies because i would put cloths and so on the bag would be extra heavy and might end up been thicker.

I wouldnt no how heavy it would be.

I want your help with this and work out if qantas at the front counter would ask me to get rid of the half waight or such.... unless of course im able to carry more then 7kilos since im not sure how that works... Since i heard the new law on waights update 2008.

What if it ends up been 10kilos or 20kilos what happens then? do i pay money for it or cant go anywhere unlesss i take things out of it.

Also final qustion about it :) sorry guys u know more then i do but thats why our a legion to try help me out well i hope any good guy would.

Would i be able to carry this big luggage with me on board or would it be handle by the carrier ? because im taking a another bag and the bag is a laptop design bag. That too i wouldnt no how much waight it alouds.. it would have a laptop/charger/videw camera / important papers such as ticket and a jacket incase melbourne is cold in may when im there. That bag will allways be with me but not sure either they will waight it or not or what.. and then comes to the previews thing about the luggage on wheels.. maybe it wont fit obove the cabin because too thick and if thats a problem i wonder where i would end up putting my luggage at not on the floor too big all crump up.

Okies give me as much easy information as posible. Please dont give me too much technical side of things because im not the best with that part but jsut so long the answers been requiered and made. Because i would hate to call qantas and wait on the phone so long just for a question when they allways busy with people wanting to buy a ticket instead.

your help will be great full

brisbane to melbourne and return flight. Domestic traveler myself.

I think i dont preciate the new rules because i dont no what to expect and would be not nice to get half the things off the luggage or carring bag infront of everyone when all im carring is the things i need and presents for when im on holidays.

take care folks

be good

jessica

from brissie [-o<

Basically it is 7 KG's no more. 7Kg's is AFAIK a CASA Regulation and is applicible on all Australian Domestic Carriers. The reason for 7kg, ridiculous as it may sound, is that if the overhead lockers open in turbulence, or when they are opened by passengers and have shifted they can cause great injury especially landing on someones head. 7kg is a fair limit. This regulation has been in operation for a while now.

I wouldnt no how heavy it would be.I want your help with this and work out if qantas at the front counter would ask me to get rid of the half waight or such.... unless of course im able to carry more then 7kilos since im not sure how that works... Since i heard the new law on waights update 2008.

What if it ends up been 10kilos or 20kilos what happens then? do i pay money for it or cant go anywhere unlesss i take things out of it.

At every airport there is what they call a Test Unit. It will have a hole the maximum bag size, sometimes a scale and information regarding Baggage. Look for one of these at the airport. If Check In or even security feels this bag is/looks too heavy or oversize, you will be either asked to repack or asked to check the bag in. Remember knives, razors, scissors or any other sharp items especially in toiletries are not allowed. This such as Aerosols (Deodorant etc) are allowed but have to be declared when going through security as they need to inspect it.

Basically by the sounds of things you will have a bag that is too heavy to take on, and you will also be over the amount of items you can take on as hand luggage. Hand luggage is one piece normally not including a handbag or manbag. You are allowed up to 32kg of Checked Baggage, but it is limited to two pieces maximum unless you are a Qantas Club member, Silver, Gold or Platinum Frequent Flyer.

For more information, these following links will help you. these are from the Qantas Website

Checked Baggage Allowance

http://www.qantas.com.au/info/flying/be ... ageChecked

Carry On Baggage Allowance

http://www.qantas.com.au/content/dyn/in ... ageCarryOn

Excess Baggage Charges (Prices May be subject to change)

http://www.qantas.com.au/info/flying/be ... Collection