SQ221 SIN-SYD A380 5th Jan 2008

This is a trip report I wrote earlier this year for my first ever A380 flight in January this year. It's not as lengthy as my other trip reports but I do have plenty of pics. I only got my camera last Christmas so was I still trying to get the hang of using it on my first trip. Apologies for some of the out-of-focus shots (some of you who read my other A380 trip report may have already seen these pics in the links at the end of my other report). Thank you for reading.

To: Sydney Kingsford-Smith (SYD)

Scheduled flight time: 7hrs 30 mins

Distance: 3911 miles

Frequent flyer miles accrued: 5867

Seat:17K

Having performed On Line Check-In (OLCI) 48hrs prior to my flight I arrived and checked-in early at Changi for flight SQ221. I was looking forward immensely to my flight. Flying from my favourite airport on my favourite airline can only mean one thing; sheer bliss. The check-in agent was super-efficient and checked my bag through to my final destination, MEL. I was even given an SQ boarding pass for my QF flight which looked a bit strange. I specifically chose flight QF74 which departs from the Int'l T1 at SYD to save myself the trek from Int'l to Domestic terminals at SYD, and having to reclaim and re-check my bag again. Plus the timing couldn't have been better.

After going airside I made my way to the sanctuary of the Silver Kris C lounge, which was busy as usual. As I was hungry I decided have to a small dinner of duck and fried rice with some delicious char sui pork. And fresh fruit, of course. Not bad I thought. I do like duck and the meat was nice and tender. Yum!

Just before 8pm I left the lounge, suitably refreshed after a nice shower, and made my way to Gate F31.

At this point I was getting quite excited. I wanted to see for myself what all the fuss was about. Upon entering the aircraft I was welcomed aboard and a flight attendant helped me stow away my cabin luggage. Then I began snapping away with my camera. My seat, the window, the cabin, etc. I took lots of pictures. A member of the cabin crew even asked me if I wanted my photo taken. I had to refuse as I'm very camera-shy. I just explained to her that I was taking photos to do a trip report.

Once the doors were closed we pushed back and took off, slightly behind schedule. I decided to pass on the dinner service as I wasn't hungry and I really can't sleep on a full stomach anyway. I usually prefer the last flight from SIN, SQ232, so I can maximise my sleep. I wasn't going to eat anything at all but after perusing the menu I requested dessert which was a delicious chocolate truffle ice-cream with bitter chocolate sauce and cookies together with a selection of fresh fruit.

The dinner menu had four choices for the main course, three of which were western. I was glad I ate in the lounge as I didn't fancy any of them. I did check the Book the Cook menu beforehand but couldn't make up my mind so passed on that.

After dessert I checked out KrisWorld and was suitably impressed. Awesome. Then I checked out the rest of the plane. Fabulous I thought. And the toilets are great!

Returning back to my seat I decided I needed to sleep so I asked a flight attendant to show me how to convert my seat into a bed. The dinner service had not yet finished but she kindly offered to do this for me so I went and changed into my pyjamas and brushed my teeth.

I had a few hours sleep but I did wake up during the night so I wandered off to the self-service bar and helped myself to some chocolate truffles. Actually I had quite a few because they were so delicious. As I couldn't get back to sleep I played around on KrisWorld until breakfast was served. I only had the fresh fruit as the pastries were only for photo purposes.

We landed at about 07:20 and I made my way to the Qantas First lounge in the Int'l departure lounge to freshen up and await my onward flight to MEL. A thoroughly excellent flight onboard SQ221 and the cabin crew were wonderful as usual.

Guest Darren Masters

Another absolutely brilliant trip report! I thoroughly enjoy reading them and looking at your pics. All so well done. Please, please keep them coming! The A380 is special isn't she? I absolutely loved every minute of my time on the A380 (although I was in cattle-class) :lol: Thanks again for sharing :D