Seeking early 20's Aussie pilot ID

siznaudin

[ATTACH]246.vB[/ATTACH]Anybody tell me who this pilot is? Very likely taken in Adelaide, early 20's.

Aircraft is a DH6, engine an RAF1a fitted with stub exhausts - 2 blade prop. (most DH6's had 4 blade...). If you know nothing about DH6's operating in Australia, do yourself a favour and read Horrie Miller's book "Early Birds" (long out of print, unfortunately..). The passage describing a night flight in one of these, with cylinders glowing dull red and sparks from the exhausts casting a demonic light on the ocupants is a cracker!

[ATTACH]17834[/ATTACH]

AussieDH6.jpg.e1062e4516ab4be4d24cde8d259c5b09.jpg

No-one's come up as yet with a suggestion for my mystery aviator, and in my ongoing search as to who it might be, this image has come to light.

It could possibly be the same kite, but I can't tie in the tailplane No. (C 372?) with any of the DH6's from the airforce of the day. :pout:

[ATTACH]17843[/ATTACH]

1589195216_1stPlaneRiverton800-600.jpg.7595832b21eb4055cef665ef038f21c8.jpg

Do you know where I can get a list of the names of australian pilots with licence numbers 1 to 60?

First licenses in Oz were issued, I believe through the Royal Aero Club, London. First (RAeC # 1024) to one Richard Williams 12 Nov 1914.

Try to access "Flypast - a record of aviation in Australia" (Parnell/Boughton)

Go to page 23 and you'll get the first 18 licenses issued. Good luck with the other 42.

cheers, Geoff.

Guest graham lea

I once bought a busines from an Edwin Lindsay Rose who said he had a licence number around the 10- 20 area but it was a long time ago so I thought I would try up to 60..

Just doing this for myself and his family..

Graham

(Will see if the local library has Parnell but in bed to day after chemo yesterday)

"First licenses in Oz were issued, I believe through the Royal Aero Club, London. First (RAeC # 1024) to one Richard Williams 12 Nov 1914."

That's from Parnell & Boughton, but "The Aviators" by William Joy (ISBN 0 85558 011 9) gives one William Ewart Hart as holding the first, albeit without reference to the source of that claim.