Training Frustrations - Help Required please

Guest simoncook1969

Guest simoncook1969

Hi,

I am hoping that somebody may be able to offer me a little help in finding a suitable place to train after two failed attempts, so far.

This is where I am up to: I have 17.9 hours, having trained until that point in a Cessna 172SP G1000. I had completed my first solo flight and at that stage, the training school decided that they would no longer use that plane for ab-initio training (I think that is the correct word?!?). At the time I was paying $285 per hour.

Quite frustrated, I searched Bankstown airport for anybody else that had the same plane, without joy. As a compromise, I decided to go with another company and use one of their new Cessna 172SP's, although it was not a G1000 glass cockpit. I am paying the same price as before although that included landing fees.

The first lesson went well and it was nice to get back in to it after a three month break (not intentional delay - searching and gallbladder removal!). Second lesson arrives and due to a problem picked up in the preflight check, the lesson is cancelled as the plane needed to go in to maintenance. The next lesson was cancelled as the instructor had an emergency on (I was OK with that as I did request a class 1 instructor for the first 5 lessons as I still have a small fear of flying, bizarrely, so knew this may happen).

The next lesson arrives and again, in a preflight check, it was spotted that the mags were not dealt with on the last maintenance and had to go back in. Apparently there are a few other issues with the plane (2006 model) and it will be out of action for approx. three weeks.

So...can anybody suggest a good company, that has new planes, preferably a C172SP that are reliable and fly out of Bankstown? I am trying to do at least four hours a week flying. Not Basair or Sydney Flight Training Centre, in no particular order).

I live north of Sydney so I would rather not travel to Camden; Bankstown is already the best part of an hour away and that is approximately another 30 minutes.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Wow! 10 out of 10 for perseverance! Can't offer yu any help as I am in SA. But you might like to consider looking about for a country-based operation with the right sort of aircraft, and then taking a couple week's leave and doing the whole thing intensively. Restricting yourself to Bankstown might be the problem....

Regards

Coop

Guest simoncook1969
Wow! 10 out of 10 for perseverance! Can't offer yu any help as I am in SA. But you might like to consider looking about for a country-based operation with the right sort of aircraft, and then taking a couple week's leave and doing the whole thing intensively. Restricting yourself to Bankstown might be the problem....Regards

Coop

If I can find the right price and location, with new aircraft, I am very happy to take a month off if needs be. With the last flying school I said I was very happy to do it full time. I found one place in Sydney that offered 'Fast Track flying' but apparently they recently shut down. TheStates is an option but that will then involve conversion course, etc, and the whole process starts again.

Thanks greatly for the advice, I'll look around on the web and consider travelling further afield. Again, any advice or recommendations outside of NSW would also be considered.

Simon