Australian Trip

Guest OFAIR

I'm a french spotter due to visit Australia from 5 to 25 marsh 2010. My trip is from Sydney to Adelaïde. I would like to know the best places to spot planes, locations, maps, spots zone, etc.

Aviation related events during this périod too.

Everything needed to have global vision of aviation in Australia during my stay.

Military et museum are of course of interest (Australian aviation related sites).

Any informations will be particulary appreciated.

Thank you very much.

Wedderburn on the southern side of Sydney is worth a drive, there is a big variation of Aircraft from homebuilds through. Usually a friendly bunch there, you can have a look around without the need for an ASIC which is a security pass.

Albury is another spot on the way to Melbourne, if you can have a look at Murry Griffiths show there, he rebuilds/builds warbirds.

A good drive from Sydney is to follow the coast all the way round to Melbourne, you could call in to Wollongong where they have quite a bit of stuff from DC3's to a Constellation. There are a lot of very nice places down the coast, a few smaller airfields to what you'd be used to interesting anyway.

If you decide to travel inland a must see is the Temora aviation museum

http://www.aviationmuseum.com.au/

Try to time your visit with a flying weekend, it's a great show with stuff you won't see anywhere else in the world.

At Melbourne there is a good museum with all sort of machinery including a Beaufighter.

Distances between towns will be a bit of a surprise for you, there is a fair bit of driving between Sydney and Adelaide.

Once you work out a rough programe let us know and we can give some more advice on where to see stuff.

SP

Wedderburn on the southern side of Sydney is worth a drive, there is a big variation of Aircraft from homebuilds through. Usually a friendly bunch there, you can have a look around without the need for an ASIC which is a security pass.Albury is another spot on the way to Melbourne, if you can have a look at Murry Griffiths show there, he rebuilds/builds warbirds.

A good drive from Sydney is to follow the coast all the way round to Melbourne, you could call in to Wollongong where they have quite a bit of stuff from DC3's to a Constellation. There are a lot of very nice places down the coast, a few smaller airfields to what you'd be used to interesting anyway.

If you decide to travel inland a must see is the Temora aviation museum

http://www.aviationmuseum.com.au/

Try to time your visit with a flying weekend, it's a great show with stuff you won't see anywhere else in the world.

At Melbourne there is a good museum with all sort of machinery including a Beaufighter.

Distances between towns will be a bit of a surprise for you, there is a fair bit of driving between Sydney and Adelaide.

Once you work out a rough programe let us know and we can give some more advice on where to see stuff.

SP

The Australian War Memorial in Canberra has a good display of aircraft.

http://www.awm.gov.au/

But the ones at Temora and Wollongong consist mostly of flying aircraft- and they sometimes go away to visit other air shows, so check in advance.

Regards

Coop

Thank you very much for these news. I know your country is a big one. I have not buy a good map so far and I have no precise nature of the distance and the place to be. Next week I will be a couple of days in Paris and hope to buy usable maps. Your propositions are of great interest and I'm going to look to the related site. With your help and the different data collected so far I hope to have a more precise program end of January. I will drop a few words to let know the organization of my journey.

See you next year.

Have a Merry Christmas ans a Happy New Year.