Aircraft with faulty GPS

gleff

Over the past few days i've noticed a V Australia aircraft with Latitude and Longitude co-ordinates going nuts. Normally I wouldn't have noticed it but I've been working on my website and noticed the distance from Chatswood would jump 4000 kilometres in only a few seconds. Sure enough when I looked at the Latitude and Longitude it was fluctuating wildly.

I realize problems exist from time to time, but wouldn't an airline fix something like this super quick since it's rather important information?

The next time I see it I'll take note of the ModeS and/or Callsign.

Guest Darren Masters

Geoff, this has come up before. Interesting topic and I think most people found it was their ADS-B decoders causing the errors and not the data that the aircraft themselves were transmitting. You are using 2 boxes there. Do you get the wild fluctuations with both boxes at the same time for the same aircraft? If you do that's rather interesting.

I haven't actually checked them both at the same time, but both devices definately do it. For the website I use the SBS-1, and for every day use, I use the Radarbox. Both have done it on occasion.

Next time it happens, i'll see if I can check both devices at the same time.

Guest Darren Masters
I haven't actually checked them both at the same time, but both devices definately do it. For the website I use the SBS-1, and for every day use, I use the Radarbox. Both have done it on occasion.Next time it happens, i'll see if I can check both devices at the same time.

Try that Geoff and see how you go. Let me know. Would be interested in finding out.