Any idea who these people are

artaircraft

Can any one identify the couple in the photograph. I believe the aircraft is a D.H Moth not sure what the full registration is but as shown the first three letters are G-EB. Date of photograph around 1920s.

%5Bimg%5Dhttp%3A//i25.photobucket.com/albums/c67/sabamel/Whoarethey.jpg[/img]

Unfortunately there were 59 Gipsy Moths with G-EB** regos.None in Oz so someone flew it over here on a trip.

That's a start I suppose.

There's just a possibility this is Bill Lancaster and Chubbie Miller. They flew out in an Avro Avian (how certain are you of your ID of this craft as a Moth Minor?).

The "colour" scheme is right- dark on the turtle deck and light underneath. And their aircraft was registered G-EBTU. It was also labelled "Red Rose" with a rose between the two words. Hoever, it had undergone significant repairs en route to Oz, and it is possible that they lost the name and did not repaint it during the repairs.

The faces are a little bit like Lancaster and Miller, but the graininess of the image makes it difficult. Miller was pretty small, this woman may be a little too large. But there is a resemblance.

THe fly in the ointment, as it were, is the absence of elevator control wires on the images I have access to in Ralph Barker's book about Lancaster and Miller, vs their presence in the photo above. Ah well, it was worth a try...

Coop

Many thanks for your responses very much appreciated.

Forgive me if I by posting this on this website I have given the impression that the photograph was taken in Australia or that the people in the photograph are from Australia. I cannot confirm either way.

I have been searching the internet in an effort to identify the people and came across your excellent forum and thought someone may have seen the photograph before.

I am certain the aircraft is a DH 60 Moth as the elevator control cables do run as shown. All the photographs of the Avro Avian I have seen do not appear run as shown in the photograph I posted.

• 1 month later...

Many thanks for your help. I have traced the details regarding these two aviators through the Flight International Archives.

They are on the left Mrs de Havilland and on the right Capt Geoffrey de Havilland. On July 25 Capt. Geoffrey de Havilland accompanied by his wife,establishment of a new world's altitude record for the 2-seater light aircraft. He took off from Stag Lane in a standard " Moth " fitted with the new 85-100 h.p. " Gipsy " engine, and reached an altitude of 21,000 ft.