How to?

mickb

Hi all,

Beyond flying my remote control planes and a few short semi formal lessons years ago I have yet to achieve my goal of flying. Since my boy turned 13 on new years day (I made 41 as well) and his dedication to wanting to be a pilot when he grows up hasn't subsided I have decided that now is the time to fulfill both his and my goals.

Given that I work as a fireman and have a roster that suits I feel I would like to become a flight instructor and do some charter work part time.

At around $50,000 for a license and hours to achieve this and the same again plus for my young bloke would I be better off buying a plane (Jabiru or similar) to build hours?

Is there any percentage in approaching one of our schools in Mackay and seeing if they are intersted in cross hiring a plane or does this seldom work out to be an economical way of owning/reducing costs?

looking forward to starting a very rewarding chapter in my own and my lads life.

Cheers Mick

Guest Brett Campany

G'day Mick, welcome along. You'll find the guys here have some great experience to learn from and some great advice! A lot of these guys have already been there and done that, some are still doing it now.

You sound like you're on my wave length. I work on a very similar roster to you and have just kicked off my RAA certification.

My suggestion is go one step at a time. You and your boy will really get a lot out of getting your certifications at the same time, then work up the hours together and aim for that goal of becoming an instructor.

I also have the same plan of being a part time instructor when off roster and believe it'll be a very rewarding job in so many ways.

As for the aircraft building vs buying, one of the pilots at work is building an RV8 and will be working on it for the better part of 18 to 24 months. Even today he told me that if he just waited to see some of the aircraft available, he would've bought before built.

Anyhow, take those away with you and the other guys here will no doubt give you some great advice, all I can say for now is happy flying and will see you in the air mate! :thumb_up: