Flying at Aldinga on Saturday 7th Feb

Mikey_A

G'day all. I just wanted to share with you my flying experience on Saturday. My lesson was set to begin at 10am & for those who weren't here, the forecast temp for Noarlunga was 34C with strong winds. We did our start up checks for the Sportstar then taxied to do our run up. Just turned into the wind when there was a squall (a tree came down in the paddock behind the hangars) and I witnessed clouds forming then eveaporating at about 500-1000ft above me. It was quite humid as the front approached and the cool moist air was meeting the warm dry air right about where the airfield is.

We taxied back and waited, fortunatley the winds settled down and we taxied out to runway 21. Funny enough, we were the only ones out there at this point of time. Lined up and took off. The first 400ft were ok then the turbulance started. At circuit height (1100ft) it was bumpy, hot and windy, not very enjoyable. I did my BUMPFIS checks and radio calls and started concentrating on landing the damn thing. Sure enough there was a cross wind too at this point in time (the winds were varying between SW & NW). The instructor asked if I wanted to keep going, I said I'd give another circuit a go before I decide.

On final at about 400ft, the air settled making the approach a bit easier to handle. So we did the touch and go but sure enough 400ft on the climb, back to the crappy weather. I decided if the landing bit isn't too bad I might as well continue the lesson. We ended up doing nine circuits in total which were quite satisfying. We even practiced a glide approach and a 'go around'. However I do look forward to a nice calm sunny day to really enjoy the flying.