Rebuilt engines?

I have been hearing alot of talk lately regarding the longevity of rebuilt engines. It seems that there exists a belief out there in the trike flying community that rebuilt 2 stroke engines do not seem to last as long as new ones. A number of people that I have spoken to share this opinion including those from Bert Floods and Airborne. Where as a few experienced pilots I have spoken to think this is ballony and a bit of a myth. Now, I don't know what to believe? I have an engine that is used very regularly, runs 4 - 5 hours a week at the moment and generally has had lots of regular use in its 520 hours. The professionals (ie Ariborne and Bert Floods) tell me that most rebuilt 582 engines (mine is the blue top with oil injection fitted) often don't make 500 hours where as most new ones do. Should I be worried that mine is about to die at any moment? I do Cyclone bearing tests every 10 hours or so and so far so good.

I would love to hear what others think or have experienced themselves.

regards: Bluey

Depends what is meant by rebuilt. For rotax 2 strokes a rebuild includes new crank assembly and that would alleviate a lot of failure prone areas. Anything less is not really a rebuild and dont forget the gearbox. I've been thru this once before and chose to renew the engine. There is still a viable market for tireder patched up engines if reliability is less valued. Our Rotax service center here took the club thru a 200 hr check on a 582 which inluded a careful visual of the crank for cracks which do occur its only a matter of time even the 912 is not immune.

My personal feeling is if its reguarly run and checked like yours and not operated with harsh loads like high prop pitch its better to keep going and replace when beyond refurbishment.

Ralph

Guest Crezzi

I'm inclined to agree with Ralph, if it is used regularly its quite likely to run well beyond the quoted life especially on a trike (where it tends to have a slightly easier life). Checking the bearings might give you advance warning of failure but once the measured play starts increasing I suspect its demise is going to happen very quickly.

I've seen quite a few planes advertised with comments like "engine rebuilt at 300 hours" where what was actually done was little more than a top end decoke. Pretty obviously thats not going to last as long as a new engine.

Cheers

John

Guest Maj Millard

Last time I worked on a 582 in a trike, it was because the coolant temps were running way too high. First thing I noticed was that both steam relief vents on the cylinder head were blanked off. There is one at either end for installation convienience, and per the manual at least one has to be connected into the system for elimination of any air/steam pockets that may develope in the head. Refer Rotax 582 installation manual for full details. A 'rebuilt' engine is only as good as the person who rebuilt it. I would not accept an engine as 'rebuilt' unless it has been done in an approver Rotax facility.

Connected one steam vent up on this trike 582, and strange, no cooling problems any more. Don't know if they came out of the factory like that or not. (Airborne I think).

Personally I did 650 hrs on a 582 (non-oil inj) in a Drifter and it wasn't babied. Had a beutifull run with only a decoke and new set of rings at 300 hrs. Key is regular use, run at least every two weeks, good oil (Castrol 2TT non synthetic) and good coolant (Castrol or Valvolene af/ab 50% with demineralised water). This engine still has the original waterpump seals in it, which is unusual as they generally leak around 200-250 hrs or so. There is however no substitute for a new engine, if you worry about crankshafts a lot. However the best thing you can do for your crankshaft and bottom end bearings, is to always warm the engine up good prior to take off, and to always maintain warm coolant temps at cruise.024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

What I mean by a rebuild

Hi, When I say rebuild I mean the whole shebang minus the gearbox for most 582 engines not a decoke or top end as my engine had about four months ago because of some signs of early leakage in the seals.

What are the options for the gearbox? When should I be looking at replacing this? At the moment my gearbox has been going strong for 1250+ hours.

regards: Bluey