Young Enthusiest

Aerospace

Well G'day and 098_welcome.gif.81ff07d492568199326e4f64f78d7bc6.gif aboard Michael,

Mate flying is absolutely full of fun, and it really is a disease you know...:thumb_up: once hooked it's hard to get it out of your mind...

I've just started flight training a month or so ago, and I just got back from a lesson now actually, 1.4 hours this morning, doing landings and circuits, Stalls etc... great fun:thumb_up:

I'm not sure how old you are, but I got the flying bug when I was about 13, now 4 and a half years later I've finally started, so If my calculation was correct I'm now 17 1/2, so still pretty young:thumb_up:

Keep it up, keep saving your piggy bank, and I'm sure we'll hear about your flying lessons in the near future... By the way, Did know that you can fly solo with an RA-Aus certificate at the age of 15? And actually even start before then?

Have fun,

• Helpful 1

Wow Thats Awesome!

G'day Michael, Tomo.

My name's Jarryd and I am 1 1/2 years younger than Tomo. I, like Michael, dont really have much to do with flying, but would love to! May I ask, what kind of money have you spent so far on this hobby of yours, flying? How do you pay for it?

Would love to hear some advice! Do you actually own an aircraft? Would love to learn more, and start getting into it!

Cheers,

Jarryd

Guest mike_perth

Mmmm money spent on flying - I have all of my receipts from my training but I have never looked at them - why you ask? I really dont care - I would work for 25cents an hour picking up horse poo if it meant I could go flying with the money I made - Flying is a reasonably expensive hobby but I know 2 guys that at around your ages started taking flying lessons and now both have their commercial. One flys for Skywest and the other is in the US flying in Bizjets! Both of these guys payed for their own training one started his whilst working for a fast food outlet the other a car yard doing car cleaning after school. Both the progressed into aviation related jobs whilst still getting hours up before getting their commercial jobs.

What am I trying to say - Go flying and work hard saving the money to do so its exactly the same now for me at 28 work hard, save hard, play hard!

and if your lucky you might even convice Mum and Dad to throw a few dollars your way if not you can always say to the whole family for Xmas and Birthdays I would like vouchers for XYZ flying school!

Wow Thats Awesome!G'day Michael, Tomo.

My name's Jarryd and I am 1 1/2 years younger than Tomo. I, like Michael, dont really have much to do with flying, but would love to! May I ask, what kind of money have you spent so far on this hobby of yours, flying? How do you pay for it?

Would love to hear some advice! Do you actually own an aircraft? Would love to learn more, and start getting into it!

Cheers,

Jarryd

G'day Jarryd,

Ok, money wise it costs me $130 an hour training in a Drifter aircraft, and you do (an average say of about 15hrs before solo) so that's about $1950, but I've told myself it'll probably cost somewhere around the $3500 dollar mark with some X-country stuff, so it's pretty costly from a young man's point of view, but if you keep saving each day, (and don't spend it on food!) or game's etc... but on flying books, and learning to fly, you will be surprised that it won't take as long as you think...

Believe me, that's what I did...

Also look for ways of making money, Like myself, I got into doing wood work, and made and sold woodturned pen's that I made on the lathe, I started off buying a cheap lathe from M10, and worked my way up to bigger and better stuff, and now I've got more tool's than most people my age... also in the mechanical side as well...

I made promotional pen's out of Australian woods and got business names engraved into them, also wooden cases etc... that went really well, and I managed to upgrade my stuff, because of more and more orders...

Now that I've finished school (yes I did all that while I was still at school) and also work for my Dad, I don't have as much time to do it, but I still go to local carnivals and things with my little stand, and try and sell them, also carrying around a case full of different types with me most places I go, Just is case I get someone talking and wanting to buy one;)

So yeah, that's what I do to make money for my flying, I started making the pen's at about 15...

I also live on a property which makes it possible to do that sort of thing, and great parents who supported me and helped me get underway with something like that...:thumb_up:

So I've now probably bored the heck out of you with my ranting on, so I'll leave it there...

Have fun,:thumb_up:

• Like 1

Guest Brett Campany

All good advice there guys, everyone here will be able to help out with anything you need, save hard, work hard and get in the air with RAAus, it's really rewarding!