Did my area solo on Monday!

G'day all,

Just would like to share that I finally got to fly solo away from the airfield for the first time in the Sportstar. I rocked up for my lesson where the instructor advised me that we'll be looking at the boundaries of the training area (at Milang - roughly E from Aldinga), doing a PFL then depending on weather and money, I'll be off on my own.

So we took off (after all the preflight checks of course!) and headed out at 3500'. Got to Milang, showed I could get it down onto the deck if need be, then headed back. Joined the circuit with a Cherokee and two Sports Cubs in the circuit, and pulled off a sufficient landing (while avoiding the lake which had formed in the middle of the airfield!).

Then there was 1.

And I did it again but all on my own, it was great. I even let out a "woohoo!" once I was over the hill and out of site from the airfield. Flew around for a bit and came back. On final I was a bit high but fixed that by another stage of flap and a bit of side slipping and topped it off with a text book landing.

I'm still smiling now 2 days later. Next up is navagation on the 17th. Can't wait now, only thing holding me back is money.

Guest Qwerty

Well done mate, another milestone!!!

"Happy Valley" sounds a bit sus. its not a nut house or hippy commune is it?? It brings immages of meadow flowers, butterflies and loonies running around in white gowns.hahahaha

Cheers, Qwerty

"Happy Valley" sounds a bit sus. its not a nut house or hippy commune is it?? It brings immages of meadow flowers, butterflies and loonies running around in white gowns.hahahaha

Sometimes I ask myself the same thing! The only loony running around is my 41kg Black Labradore named Monty. But I know what you mean.