New Rubber Required!

Guest Roger

No not that sort you dirty buggers - I need some new tyres for the Jabiru.

They currently run 500x6 4 ply but I would really like to get hold of either 6 or 8 ply, preferably 8. There are some very healthy bindi eyes, catsheads, three cornered jacks on our more remote gravel strips and they are making short work of our 4 ply's.

Any suggestions, donations (money is fine) or links to where I might get some would be appreciated.

Cheers

Roger

Hi Geoff,

They do sound like the sorts of tyres I am chasing. Would you be able to give me a supplier/contact details. I have talked to our local tyres suppliers but am not having a lot of luck - the ones that are on it seem to be a unusual size except if you are after wheel barrow tyres!

Cheers

Roger

M&C TYRES PTY LTD 259 HIGHT street POPPET HEAD ESTATE KANGARROO FLAT VIC 3555 PHONE 0354471377 0412194083

This is on a 6" rim on a J160 they or a little bit wider than the normal tyers

we don't run spats so have no idea if they will fit? hope this helps

• 7 months later...

Went flyin' Tuesday late afternoon - beautiful - smooth as ;) - landed on the hard stuff (just b4 last light) and VIBRATION!! 049_sad.gif.af5e5c0993af131d9c5bfe880fbbc2a0.gif

Flat tyre! :yuk:

Managed to keep it straight and upright.

Had to drag the Jabby right off the ruwway into the grass. A sad sight. - all alone in the long grass, looking a little lopsided. 051_crying.gif.fe5d15edcc60afab3cc76b2638e7acf3.gif

No shops open, so next day buy can of blow up goop and get the plane back to the hanger.

That was th easy bit. :big_grin:

Bought 2 new tyres from M + C in Bendigo.

Then the fun really started - took me three hours to change the first one and two hours for the second. 088_censored.gif.2b71e8da9d295ba8f94b998d0f2420b4.gif088_censored.gif.03b4fab6f26a58d5cdf75ba85c450225.gif088_censored.gif.2b71e8da9d295ba8f94b998d0f2420b4.gif088_censored.gif.03b4fab6f26a58d5cdf75ba85c450225.gif

If you've nothing to do and like a challenge - try changing small, tight, aircraft tyres (with out the special tools). ;)

No comments unless you've done it! 068_angry.gif.cc43c1d4bb0cee77bfbafb87fd434239.gif

regards

Guest brentc

I changed my tyre this morning. It was flat, with goo in it, but no visible leak.

I had the appropriate tools:

- 1 Petrol powered full size Forklift

- 2 x Sidchrome spanner sets

- 2 x Sidchrome socket sets

- 1 air compressor

- Spare tube

- Spare tyre

- Custom built Jabiru tyre 'bead breaker'

and it STILL took me over 2 hours. arrrhhhgggg!! $@@ It's because of my wheel spat backing. They are not removable and it makes for a very difficult operation. If I didn't have the forklift or a huge wing jack, it would be next to impossible. I may have to change to the new one piece spats. The dual brake calipers don't help either.

C'mon Brent -

share the secret - ;)

show us your "custom built Jabiru TYRE BEAD BREAKER"

please! ;)

regards

PS - If I ever go bush - I'm takin' a whole spare WHEEL! :big_grin:

Thanks Geoff - good idea. ;)

I got 212 hours out of the originals. Which is not bad as 95% of landings were on the hard stuff. :big_grin:

How many hours on your 10 plys so far? :)

regards

Guest brentc

I'll have to take a picture for you. Problem is that it's not transportable as it was built for the flying school. It's crude but does the job nicely. The alternative is to use your boots, stand next to your 'mate,' put your arm around him and push hard (on your boots).

200+ hours is exceptional. I'm on 440 hours and have probably replaced mains tires 4 times.

Jcamp - not sure what you mean by the allen key bolts? My backing for the spats aren't split and therefore not removable from the leg unless you remove the stub axle. When I assembled them I didn't realise what I was supposed to do. The nett result was some great looking nice fitting solid wheel spats that are very difficult to remove and near impossible to change the brake pads on especially since fitting the dual caliper system.

C'mon Brent - share the secret - ;)

show us your "custom built Jabiru TYRE BEAD BREAKER"

please! ;)

regards

PS - If I ever go bush - I'm takin' a whole spare WHEEL! :big_grin:

Reinstalling Jab tyres

Hi Crew

Having heard of some Jab tubes being pinched by the split rims as they are being fitted (not on this forum) I applied a few of my fathers lessons to tyre fitting on my J160 kit.

Applied some Johnsons baby powder in the tyre before inserting the tube so that it will not stick to the tyre (hope no water gets in there).

After inserting the tube into the tyre before fitting and bolting up the rims, I put sufficient air in the tube to maintain a round shape so that it cannot be pinched by the rims when they are pulled together by the bolts.

Now I will just have to do it all again if and when I get some 10 ply tyres to replace the 6"x6 plys.

From what I have heard even certified Jabs would be well advised to check the alignment of their mains.

Regards

Guest brentc

I partially inflate the tube before putting it in, then join the 2 halves together and then just push the tyre down all the way around so I can see if the tube is caught between the rim halves. However on several occasions when I have changed a tube I have pulled out the tube and it looks distinctly like it was pinched, however I think this is more to do with the inflation of the tube which is why I inflate it as much as I can before inserting it into the tyre.