GPS Data

shags_j

Hi all,

Not owning a GPS myself, does anyone know how easy it is to obtain data from an aircraft gps? Are you able to log the route of a flight and export it to a flash disk or something?

Thanks,

Shags

A GPS logger. They come in all shapes and sizes and prices.

Here's a random page from the internet.

GPS Data Logging

I convert the data into KML format and view with google earth. You can use GPS

visualiser GPS Visualizer to do it, or GPSBabel.

With the KML, set lines and elevation and you have a nice height picture of your flight.

Here's a flight I did Jaspers Brush Wollongong, dropping in on Motzartmerv http://srfc.org.au/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/m-j-t.kml

The logger I have is a Wintec G-Trender WSG-1000, which has a screen and some fancy options, (bike, walk, car mode) but there are stacks others. I like per second logging.

Yes.

As in, some use a USB/serial interface, some have the GPS as a filesystem (same as a flash drive), some have SD cards. Then there's bluetooth ones that will sync with your phone or PDA or computer.

Have a look at some of the models on the site above, look up their specs and or reviews.

The WGS-1000 uses a USB serial interface. Comes with a driver, or the very useful GPSbabel can talk to it and hundreds of other devices directly.

Jamie

Even some small hand held gps units (like an eTrex etc.) record a track when switched on. Using software you can download these tracks to your computer and convert them to whatever format you like. Certainly cheaper than dishing out for an expensive "Aviation" GPS if the data is all you're after.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

Just quick request. I don't suppose someone would be able to email me with the data that would be downloaded in an average flight would they? I would really really appreciate it.

Thanks,

Shags