RA-Aus Aircraft Overseas

sseeker

Hi everyone,

Not sure if this has been asked before, but what are the regulations regarding RA-Aus registered aircraft overseas? I would've thought that it would be prohibited but I've heard of some RA-Aus aircraft flying to New Zealand.

Don't have my operations manual on me so I can't check, anyone care to share your opinion/fact?

Thanks,

Andrew

Yes I mean flying it to an international destination, for example Darwin, NT to Kupang, Indonesia (it's the smallest international leg I could find.) or Melbourne, Vic. to Devonport, Tas. There's actually some photos on the Jabiru website of a trip from Sydney, NSW to Tas.

Link: http://jabiru.net.au/Photopage/Magazine%20Articles/Aust%20to%20NZ%20flight/J230%20flight%20to%20NZ.pdf << But they've registered it in GA registration... So is something like this possible under RA-Aus?

Umm. Don't quote me on this but I believe the Vic - Tas leg is possible on the technicality that there are "islands" (really only surfacing rocks) scattered within gliding distance. Thats what i've heard anyway. I don't think Lord Howe has the same luxury for this reason. Even tho it is still part of NSW. Maybe some of our apple isl members can confirm this???

AU to NZ and vice versa, I'd guess that...

1. You'll probably need to have a PPL, I'd be a bit surprised if CASA or CAA would allow you to attempt it without. The CAA would not allow an RA-AUS pilot to fly here without converting to one of our Part 149 organizations first anyway.

2. You'd need special permission to operate your (RA-AUS) aircraft outside Australia I expect.

3. You'd special permission to operate your aircraft in the other country, because we are talking about non-certified aircraft they won't be covered by the ICAO. I suspect you might have problems bringing an RA-AUS reg'd aircraft and operating it without getting it ZK permitted, bringing a VH reg would be much easier.

The established route is through Lord Howe and Norfolk, neither of which really have any "alternate" that does not involve getting wet, cold and potentially dead, there will be a definite point of no return by which you will want to be able to evaluate the situation, satellite phones are comparatively cheap to hire.

In Europe there is much free-er travel of similar aircraft with many countries having standing permissions for microlight/ultralight/light-sport/whatever aircraft from other countries. I guess they have the advantage of not being surrounded by lots of inhospitable sea water.

Guest jeepman

A guy at our airport has flown to NZ from Heck Field but he had to deregister the plane in AU and register it NZ before going because casa had so many reasons for not allowing him to go it was prohibitive.

NZ registered however is no problem.

Yeah the reason I ask is just out of pure curiosity. I have no intention of flying overseas in a single engine aircraft, especially an ultralight.

Sounds to complex and I wouldn't want to risk crashing an aircraft and possibly killing myself just for the thrill of flying internationally.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Howard Hughes
Engine doesn't know you're over water!

They most certainly do, they also know when it is dark!;)

• 2 weeks later...

International flight by Ultralight

It is possible to fly internationally in an ultralight, and many have done so.

Most of the requirements are the same as for a certified aircraft; maps, liferaft, flight plan, sufficient fuel, good nav gear, radio, transponder, passport, passenger manifest, customs declarations, agriculture inspection and customs clearance. (As a rule of thumb, the plane is ready to depart once the weight of the paperwork exceeds the weight of the aircraft.)

But as ultralights are sub-ICAO (below the level that there is international agreement for each country to accept other's registered aircraft), you have to request the other country give you permission to fly in their airspace with your aircraft.

This is not automatic, but they are likely to agree if the type is already flying in their country.

• 2 weeks later...
Folks,One not insignificant problem with NZ ---- as soon as you get there, you will get a bill for GST (or whatever they call it in NZ) for the value of the aircraft.

Regards,

If you're visiting you should get it back when you leave, not even sure if you need to stump up the full GST.

Of course, you could get a Carnet de Passage, pretty sure they are accepted.

GST does not have to be paid

GST is not a problem. It's the same process (and name) in both NZ and Aust... it is only if you are bringing a plane into either country permanently ('importing' it) you have to pay GST.

But bringing it in temporary you get a note (carnet ?) that waives it so long as you take it out ('export') it within a certain time. Not sure what length of time this is, but it must be reasonably long as yachts are treated the same and they often stay for 6 months. For this reason Customs ask the serial number of the aircraft so they can see that the one you take back out is the one you bought in.

You don't have to pay and reclaim.

Cheers,

Harvey

• 1 month later...

RA or VH or ZK

Harvey you are correct ... when I ferried my J230D SYD to AKL it was VH-FTE and all that was required was to get a temporary Oz ppl issued which was easily done ... the documentation was as you state ... I could have ferried under an RA # if it was on one according to my Casa contact. Gst isn't payable on visiting aircraft in NZ and carnet is a good document for this purpose.

Cheers

Bruce