RAA GA Conversion

Well Im considering converting across to GA for my own interest. I have over 100 hours including 20+ Cessna 152, 20 Tecnam 92 and X-air Hanuman and Gazelle.

Can anyone recommend a good school and instructor that will not drag the conversion on to make money. Im In Victoria so that is a must also.

Jim.

G'day mate, sounds good! I can't help you much as I wouldn't have a clue of what is down in Vic...

I'm doing my conversion at the coast sometime (next week I hope to start - Heading over in the C206) You'll need to do the required GA theory stuff, BAK, NAV, MET and whatever. Nothing over hard I'm told, just need to be up to scratch on A,B,C weight balance and performance charts.

If I start before you, I'll let you know what is involved. I've got similar hrs to you by the sounds, about 100 at this stage.

my experience with both Tyabb and Lilydale has been very positive.

get yr BAK out of the way asap and apply for your SPL and AVID/ASIC. with your hours and types you are a long way in front but will need to meet the school's standards, of course, and this will necessitate a review nav and some circuit work so they can see where yr at. then probably a couple more navs and some solo student time - maybe another 10 - 12 hours for you depending on yr proficiency...

ask for a grade 1 or 2 instructor so that you get an adequate review with a minimum of fuss.

most importantly, meet the CFI first off and agree a program with him - establish a good rapport with the guy that is going to do yr flight test!

just my thoughts

good luck and keep us posted!

Coldstream trains both RAA & GA

Can anyone recommend a good school and instructor that will not drag the conversion on to make money. Im In Victoria so that is a must also.

Jim.

Hi Jim,

Recently went through exactly what you are planning on doing for my wife. She has about 210 hrs RAA. After many phone calls etc we settled on the school run by Royal Vic Aero Club at Coldstream under command of CFI Dick Gower (0418 358250). Dick is a very experienced instructor and has a team of good professionals behind him. They have a path to PPL that starts on RAA registered aircraft with conversion at a late date to GA aircraft. Ensure you have both an ASIC card and an ARN from CASA before you start.

They seem to really understand the requirements for both types of training and they do and will recognise RAA flying hours. The standard you are at will depend on just what they require you to do. If you are at a satisfactory standard they will probably only require some form of proficiency check, instrument flying training and CTA entry - of course what they require is not up to me and they will make the final decision in that respect. They will not stretch you out simply to take your bucks.

Wags.

As your based in Geelong.. speak to Manny at Inbound Aviation in Ballarat. I'm sure he will give you the best option out that side of town. Manny has some good GA contacts and knows the in and outs of the local schools.

Agree about Lilydale. When I finally get paid (hello - client!!!!) I will be spending some of my hard earned $ there.

G