Trailing Edge Brace Cable

Thruster87

Where exactly does the Trailing Edge Brace Cable connect to as mine did not have a tang installed.Seems you can either attach to the bolt at the base of the A frame/rear boom brace or higher up where the Al A frame tube ends. Couldn't find any hi res pics to see.Also what spec Dia cables Cheers

Guest TOSGcentral

Rather than just answer your post I will put in some explanation.

Most of the single seaters have a front bracing flying wire only. This extends from the main undercarriage to the tang half way between the root and the lift strut attachment.

There are no rear bracing cables (or flying wires as they are normally termed.

In addition you only have one diagonal bracing wire in Bay 2 of the wing instead to the two cross over wires like the 95.25 two seaters have.

OK now if you are familiar with the two seaters and rig your aircraft then you may appear to have a loose wire floating about, attached at the wing end, in a corresponding position to the front flying wire. You assume this is the rear flying wire but there is nowhere to put it on the cockpit rear A frame.

This is in fact the internal bracing wire for bay 2 and you will find a housing for it on the front of the compression strut joint between Bays 2 and 3.

There is no reason why you could not make the tangs and put on rear flying wires and an extra cross over cable in Bay 2 - the aircraft were not built like this but it is adding strength to them that later development of the two seaters discovered were necessary.

The specifications of the wire is 1/8" stainless stranded and is exactly what comes of yachts - so you can get it at any marine outlet along with the correct sized ferruls and thimbles to make new cables. You will however have to have a reasionable tool to do the cleating of the joints.

The front wires are the same stuff but 3/16" - or should be.

Aye

Tony

Hi Tony mine is the TST 2 seater and it did come with the rear bracing cable but it only reached within 3" of the spot where the Aluminum A frame tube bolts at the crommolly frame but the manual didn't say exactly which attach point should be used. I've made a longer brace cable 1/8" which reaches to the base bolts/rear boom braces. This way it supports at a better angle. Hope this is correct Cheers Alan

Guest TOSGcentral

Hmmm! OK - everyone disregard previous post except single seat owners who should take note of it!

Now Allan, I am not surprised the cable does not fit because it is not supposed to attach where you are looking.

If you go up the cockpit rear A frame tubes about 8" or so from that bottom rear boom bracing strut point (right at the bottom) then you should find a tang/lug or whatever to attach the cable to. If it is not there then there should be evidence of breakage, sawing or a hole where a fitting was mounted.

Have another look and get back if still puzzled and I will dig out some photos - I have several hundred of various different bits and pieces.

And sorry no! What you have done is not 95.25/95/55 compliant. Can we keep it kosher please and you are doing that be asking - thanks - I wish more would!

Aye

Tony

Guest TOSGcentral

No prons. I will take a close up today especially for you and post a little later - that should fix it for you. It will be a T300 but they have the same set-up as the TST.

Tony

Guest TOSGcentral

OK. OK! I will see what I can do but no promises on time. I should have a reasonable tank pic for a T500 in archives as I do not have a '500 here at the moment.

I have a senior TOSG member just about to arrive for a chat on engineering and development design so will do the best I can for you.

Tony

Guest TOSGcentral

OK now here we go.

The first two images are standard T500 tanks and mounts on two different aircraft. Never mind the appearance of the pods (something else was happening) and that does not affect the tank mounting.

Note that the tank rests on the lower bearers and is mainly secured in position by two vertical cables whose tension is controlled by turnbuckles.

These cables should be 3/16 stainless steel (same as some of the main flying wires etc and should be encased in plastic. You should also introduce additional padding where the cables go around the tank’s sharp corners. These are normally a piece of angle alloy with a hard plastic type covering on them.

In addition note that the top cable capture points are full hoops around the rear A frame. This is actually held in position by a non structural small rivet to keep it there – do not go drilling any more big holes in that A frame for bolts!

This is a 60 litre tank and so needs to be very adequately restrained as under 10 g it will ‘weigh’ 450 kg!

The next shot is your lower rear bracing cable mount position. It is a bolt through the A frame with a tang, then a clevis pin and safety pin to keep it there. If you have a rummage around in the bits you took off prior to your rebuild you should be able to find the originals!

Sorry this took so long – I have been busy.

Aye

Tony

Thank you for that. I'll have to reposition the rear brace wire to the top spot and also make a cable for the tank.I've been going thru the instrument panel checking all connections and replacing where needed all day, so just read the return reply its' 4.PM down here.Now if I could only get the brakes to hold a bit better. I did some strip runs earlier in the week on tarmac as the grass was a wee bit high and it would have been more reassuring with good brakes.Thank you again Alan