Rib Ends

Thruster87

Guest TOSGcentral

Christ on a bike Alan - I have seen nothing like that before! Small wonder they would not fit!

The front may be kosher but does not appear to be! The trailing edge is off the planet!

OK - now please do not try and fly that aircraft until we have sorted this out. Can you get me a full shot of an entire batten please.

Meantime I will yank a batten out and post pics of front and back ends plus an overall view of what the batten should look like.

Will you also please have a think about what else on that machine did not make sense to you? Just post away - I do not mind answering.

Try and be back tomorrow morning.

Aye

Tony

[ATTACH]1805[/ATTACH] The Top ribs are Duckbill 28mm, tube 1280mm, rear duckbill 40mm =total 1348 mm [measured on the top camber] The bottom rib is Duckbill 28mm, tube 1228mm,rear duckbill 40mm,total = 1296mm. The bottom ribs actually sit in very well and are a great improvement on just the plug end type for giving a smooth surface. Checked the log entries for any mods and there are none mentioned [the previous owner was a fellow down Vic and he was meticulous in his log entries] Cheers Alan [have to go and work on the big boys [c47] now ,back later]

DSCN0485.JPG.51d070402cb40f1f01ff7a73bcd82263.JPG

Guest TOSGcentral

OK - good stuff. I am just about to leap out and grab some battens from the hangar and I will post again in a couple of hours with some pics.

Your overall batten shape looks fine. I do not like that slight "kick up" on the leading edge duckbills - I think it will give you fabric problems, certainly over a period of time if not immediately with the new skins that will be very tight.

Back soon

Tony

Guest TOSGcentral

The data here is from a T300 but this should have identical battens to the TST.

The duckbills and end plugs are exactly the same pair for both upper and lower battens

The measurements are the OUTSIDE radius of the curvature. The ends are what is visible. Duck bills and plugs will have internals for staking)

UPPER BATTEN.

Duck bill 16 mm

Metal 1273 mm

Plug 5 mm

Total 1294 mm

LOWER BATTEN.

Duck bill 16 mm

Metal 1222 mm

Plug 5 mm

Total 1241 mm

IMAGES.

• This an external view of the duckbills when seated in a fully tensioned wing

• This a layout of upper and lower battens for correctly profiled battens that exactly match the T300 flat wing tip former. This former is chromolly and does not change shape. It is therefore a permanent template on the aircraft that can be used for Gemini, TST, T300 and T500s

• Close up of an upper/lower pair of duckbills – canted to give you profile.

• Close up of an upper/lower pair of end plugs.

NOTE. If you can get your lower battens seating properly then I would leave them as is. The upper battens are going to give you a challenge with that pointed trailing edge plug because you do have to hammer them in (discretely of course) and especially on new skins.

On normal issue battens both trailing edge upper and lowers seat inside the wing skin slots and give a flat external surface to the skins. They may not look very tidy inside but they work OK.

The batten plugs and duck bills are standard equipment for yachts so can be sourced through any reasonable marine supplier and are cheap enough.

Think positive! You have only 80 ends to deal with. On a T300/T500 there are 140!

Aye

Tony

Guest TOSGcentral

"Is that a red ant" Probably! Do you like them? If so we have thousands - you can take as many as you like totally free.

While you are here we do a great line in black snakes. We have one very healthy 8' female specimin that anyone would be proud to have, but there is no shortage so take as many of those as you like as well.

:big_grin:

Tony