Questions

Guest fly

Guest fly

HI all;

does anyone have an TST_E or T500 that I could ask a few questions about while I rebuild one.

Thank you fly.

e.g. lower central stringer for fuse shroud . does it go under the larger front former , or between the two lower bars of the former, the 3/4 inch diamond shaped section at the bottom of the former seems to be in a akward position to attach a clamp or ziptie to the central lower stringer

Guest TOSGcentral

If you look at the stringers and chromolly formers carefully you will find small lugs on the formers and corresponding holes in the stringers.

All of the stringers go outside the formers. This can be a hassle as the stringers are actually kept in position by the rear shroud (sock) and fall off or become disengaged until the sock is fitted.

The easy way to do this is use a small piece of ducting tape at each frame/stringer contact point to hold it in position until you put the sock on.

If you wish I can post an image of a T500 with the stringers in position and the sock off.

Ask as many questions as you like - that is what TOSG is for. I have owned and operated Thrusters for years (mainly E's and T500s) and will have another T500 here in a couple of weeks or so for rebuild.

Aye

Tony

Thanks Tony,

No need for a pic , understand how the stringers attach to formers

It was the lower central stringer I'm still not sure about.

I note your advice regarding tape to fix stringers, I have already zip tied .

Will that affect sliding the rear cover on?

What is used to lace the cover on.... anything special ?

Are very small clevis pins used to go through on the aluminium surround on the rear lower pod bulkhead to retain the shroud lacing, there are small holes 1/8" drilled through the aluminium bulkhead surrounds ?

Still no luck with finding a trailer, I,d appreciate it if you kept your eye out for one, as you no doubt have more contacts than I

Thanks and bye ..... Fly

Guest TOSGcentral

OK - I am not too keen on zip tying the stringers to the formers as you will get localised pressure points on the fabric - remember you have to pull it drum tight and it is this tension that primarily keeps the stringer cage in place.

You can attach the shroud to the shroud petals via strong zip ties that you progressively pull up - or - you can use cord to lace it. I normally zip tie.

The lower part of the petals can be attached to the rear sub bulkhead more or less any way you like providing it can take the considerable force that will be applied to it in tensioning. Alternatives are rivets or small nuts and bolts with load spreading large washers. Clevis pins would work but are a bit messy.

While you are pulled down this far have a damn good look at the chromolly rear frame for cracks and corrosion. Also strip the lower main pulley block, clean and relubricate it while you can get at it easily. Fuel spillage can soak this and when the petrol evaporates it leaves the oil that combines with dirt etc and forms fine grinding paste!

This is not so bad on the rear enclosed models but can be a real problem on the open T300, TST, Gemini and Glasshouse.

Aye

Tony