SAAA flyin October 2007

Guest Glenn

Guest Glenn

Normally the SAAA's flyin is held at Wagga Wagga NSW but this year Cowra has won the right to host the event. It will be held in October 20 and 21 and will feature over 300 aircraft and is expected to bring around 1500 people to the airport. It will sure be a busy weekend and will be good for the town.

A group of 7 members from the SAAA met with our Aero Club yesterday to discuss some arrangements.

More information to follow.

Guest Glenn

More information from Cowra Council's web site

GENERAL MANAGER’S REPORT TO THE OPERATIONS COMMITTEE

MEETING TO BE HELD ON MONDAY, 12 FEBRUARY 2007.

Page 1 of Item 2

Author: General Manager

Item No.: 2

Subject: Sport Aviation Association of Australia (SAAA) Annual

Convention

File: A.09.00.00

Precis: The SAAA are seeking a location for their Annual Convention

for 2007, 2008 and 2009

Budget: $20,000 – Council event sponsorship

Recommendation:

That in recognition of the economic benefits to Cowra in respect of development at the Cowra Airport, that Council contribute $20,000 from its 2007/8 budget for the 2007 Sport Aviation Association of Australia

(SAAA) Convention and further that it commit $20,000 in each of the

following two years for the 2008 and 2009 convention.

2. Sport Aviation Association of Australia (SAAA) Annual

Convention:

The SAAA is an organisation for aircraft owner builders which holds an annual convention at an airport. In late 2006, its representatives contacted Council advising of their interest in holding their convention at Cowra. At that time the General Manager and Manager Strategy and Growth met with the SAAA on site at the airport to discuss their proposal. On the Saturday, 13th January 2007 a further meeting was held with SAAA representatives and the Mayor, Manager-Strategy and Growth and Director of Operations on site to discuss the project in detail and present to Council a draft Memorandum of Understanding . Following that meeting the SAAA have selected Cowra as the location for the 2007, 2008 and 2009 conventions.

This report recommends that Council enter into a memorandum of

understanding with the SAAA for their conventions over the next three years.

The reason for the SAAA’s selection of Cowra is that due to increasing regulation and control of airspace, larger centres are no longer able to provide the proper environment conducive to this large group of owner builder enthusiasts. They wish to secure a new site and will commit to that site for three years and then evaluate it for the future. It is likely that if the site functions well for the organisation, it will then become the permanent site and potentially their new headquarters which will

involve the erection of premises and permanent staffing.

The SAAA is an association of aviation enthusiasts who band together to help each other build aircraft. Association membership is around 1200 and growing. The convention is held over 3 days on either the second last or last weekend in October – Friday to Sunday inclusive. This year it will be held from the 19th to 21st October.

The site is set up on a Thursday and dismantled at lunchtime on the Sunday. The first early-bird aircraft arrive on the Wednesday evening.

About 700 people arrive by car and a few by commercial aircraft.

The convention is not an air display. It is a fly-in being a simple gathering of aircraft enthusiasts. The entrance fee is presently $10 for three days. Those aged 16 and under are free. This nominal fee helps defray costs. The entire event is run on a break-even basis and the total budget is around $40,000. The SAAA does not seek to make a profit from this venture however should a surplus be made on the event it

will be disbursed back to the Council.

In 2005 the convention attracted 1000 registered attendees and 250 aircraft. In 2006 around 1200 attendees brought 250 aircraft. Attendance in 2006 by Sydney and Melbourne day visitors was reduced due to strong winds on the Saturday.

Subject to favourable weather, this trend suggests that in 2007 Cowra may attract 1400 people and 300 aircraft.

Estimates of overnight stays and accommodation usage are as follows:

Number of day visitors – 300, most on Saturday.

Campers (both underwing and alongside car) – 150 to 200.

Number of motel bed/nights – hard to estimate, but around 1000, concentrated on the Friday and Saturday nights.

Events

• The Friday is planned as the day for the serious aircraft builder to attend

forums where building techniques are explained and aircraft products are

displayed and described.

• On the Saturday forums continue, but with a wider appeal in mind. This is

also the day for people to show off their aircraft and to fly friends for fun.

The annual general meeting is conducted on the Saturday. On Saturday

night an annual dinner is held. Awards are presented and the evening is

completed by a speech by a guest speaker. On Sunday aircraft depart and

the site is disassembled.

• Throughout the convention commercial firms hire inside and outside

display sites to display their products, including demonstration flights by

aircraft on offer.

• Community participation and other opportunities are available and are

encouraged by SAAA in respect of provision of food and other amenities.

• 4 months later...

Pip Borman in his Edge will be attending the event to do a display as well as a couple other aerobatic displays. There will also be a display of radio controlled models.

"Escape to Cowra"The SAAA is holding it’s National Convention this year at an exciting new site, Cowra airfield, located less than a days flying time from Adelaide, Melbourne, Sydney and Brisbane in the beautiful New South Wales Central Tablelands. The main programme runs from Friday 19th to Sunday 21st October 2007 and a warm welcome is extended to all aviation enthusiasts.

The theme for 2007 is “expanding the envelope†and you will witness the best in homebuilt aircraft and for the first time at our convention event, an exciting flying display programme. The Association will provide workshops and forums for every one as we continue to celebrate our years of supporting experimental aircraft building and flying.

This is a chance to expand your horizons and venture into a picturesque new location with a fascinating history, with the added benefits of an excellent airfield. The locals are enthusiastic about ‘Escape to Cowra’ and welcome SAAA’s decision to do more to put their local airport on the map.

Costs of Registration for the Convention will be $15.00 per person. Children under the age of 12 will be free.

Check out the details elsewhere on this website and plan now not to miss this landmark event in the Australian aviation calendar.

* Packed programme of workshops and forums essential for all current and future builders and aviators.

* Latest trade and aviation products display with demonstrations of the latest aviation products and services from around Australia. Trade exhibitors should contact us now to reserve display space.

* Annual dinner and awards presentation event on Saturday evening.

* Fascinating off-field activities for the whole family. See the Cowra website for further details.

* A range of accommodation available to suit all needs.

* YCWR has an excellent all weather sealed runway and substantial grass cross strip on an expansive airfield un-encumbered by RPT traffic.

* Plenty of space for aircraft and vehicle parking and on-site camping.

* Judging for the 2007 National awards will be conducted in a range of categories.

For further information contact us at 03 9482 4716

ANY QUERIES?

Contact Convention Co-ordinator Bo Hannington

Tel: 0417 555 328 Email:[email protected]

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Darren Masters

Yep, I'm going Glenn. Camping it again. Maybe in your yard this time! Think I'll just plonk the tent down at the airfield. I'm going to be doing some aeros with Paul Andronicou in his RV8 (the rewards for creating web sites for people) so that will be well worth the trip in itself :D Looks as though it will be a good weekend and turn-out. I know quite a few people that were at Narromine will be going. More info here (if it has not already been posted):

http://www.saaa.com/

You can camp in my yard if you wish but there will be 4 dogs keeping you company LOL

I'm going to be doing some aeros with Paul Andronicou in his RV8

I'll be taking before and after photos 022_wink.gif.2137519eeebfc3acb3315da062b6b1c1.gif

All I can say is thank god I don't have far to go 8)

Guest Darren Masters

Ha ha ha :lol: Good one! Before and after shots eh? Yes, well for some this event is only down the road.

• 2 weeks later...

Checked it out this afternoon. 2 choppers were seen, an R44 and an R22. Although saw the R44 depart over the CBD later on. It came in yesterday. Not sure if it will be back.

Quite a selection of aircraft currently here and tomorrow will see many more arrive. Lots of tents and marquees set up too.

Weather was perfect today and if it stays this way then this weekend will be great. The weather site says it will be sunny - http://www.weatherzone.com.au/local/loc ... oc&lc=4928

Guest Darren Masters

Emma and the kids and I leaving around 0700 tomorrow. Should be with you early morning Glenn. Will sms you when arrived. Will be doing some flying tomorrow through the day. Some aerobatics Saturday. Apart from that, plane spotting, plane mad! Looking forward to the weekend. Weather looks as though it will be kind too. Shame you will not be there Chainy! I should have some pics...Glenn is good at taking them. 1,500 frames a second!!!!! :shock:

Guest Chainsaw

Darren, with the Fisheye lens of yours, you will get all 300 planes from 50ft away! LOL

Yes a shame I can't make it this time. Greed has control of me, working all weekend again.

I look forward to a trip report and plenty of photos in the Gallery guys.

Daz, you are a lucky man to have such a patient wife and kids :) or is Emma mad too ;)

Have fun guys...

Guest Chainsaw

Ok, I'm teased. humph!

Daz is great (shhh dont tell him) Emma is better though. He would be very ordinary without her *cheeky grin* Nice kids too.

Guest TAA finny

If I knew this was on I would've gone for a trip over. I don't know how I haven't seen this thread.

I'll have to check out the pictures when you put them up :D

Guest Darren Masters

Had an awesome weekend! Report and pics coming soon. Still recovering from the aerobatics! Glenn, was great to catch you again. We just got in the door and it's 35 with two screaming kids so I will go for now and pop back in later.

Guest Darren Masters

Ha ha ha. Good one Chainy! You been speaking to Glenn again mate? If not, you may have well seen us! Got to be quick spotting the Pulsar mate!!! :D :D

Your at Parkes aren't you Finny? Pity you didn't know it was on.

Will get up some pics uploaded as soon as the server stops rejecting me. :roll:

In the meantime take a look a few posts up for some.

Ha ha ha. Good one Chainy! You been speaking to Glenn again mate?

Chainy was on his way to Orange after I told him you were doing aeros at Orange :roll:

Guest Darren Masters

Nice pics Glenn (as usual). Server sure has been playing up. Still not getting notifications. Oh well, never mind. I just check back here and see if any comments.

At its peak 270 aircraft registered on the weekend.

There is room for improvement for next year's event. Just the little things but nothing too major.

During the display of the radio controlled planes traffic approaching the airport were advised to stay over town as there was a display being held. One Jabiru decided not to give a radio call at all and entered the "box" across the field at 1500 while a radio controlled plane was doing its thing. I actually saw this and thought sh*t thats close. Seems as the pilot was taken into a room and given a good talking to.

Bring on next year 8)

Guest Darren Masters

Yes, some pilots seem to never know what is going on at the best of times. 270 aircraft is impressive. I bet you it beat Narromine. I don't know where the next one will be for us Glenn but I am looking forward to it :D 022_wink.gif.2137519eeebfc3acb3315da062b6b1c1.gif